The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(16-01-2019, 08:14 AM)jansens Wrote: I got the dynamo backlash down to 3 thou and also machined up some slotted bolts to hold it on. Am going to make up a pointer and make a TDC mark on the front of the engine since I realised it will be impossible to look down on the flywheel when the engine is in the car to see what the timing is doing. Am more interested to see what the timing jitter is like at idle when everything is running.

Simon
Simon, what did you do to limit the backlash? New gears?
I had a go at plotting my ignition advance curve before Christmas; I made a cardboard 'protractor' with the angles marked off and stuck it to the back of the block behind the flywheel, then observed the movement of the TDC mark with a strobe light. Of course you can do the same at the front of the engine but angles will be /2 so a little harder to read. I got a cheap rev counter off eBay, the sort which winds around a plug lead and costs about a fiver. This enables advance to be plotted against rpm.
It was pretty steady around idle, but by the time I got to 5000rpm the mark was jumping around within a band of about 5 degrees... I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I'm using essentially standard (well worn) A7 bits by the way - DK4A.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Chris KC - 16-01-2019, 10:05 AM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM