The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(09-01-2019, 11:55 AM)GK5268 Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 10:04 PM)Chris KC Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 05:44 PM)GK5268 Wrote: Cleaned and re-painted a spare gearlever that I had just acquired, decided might as well fit it to the car now with its nice shiny new paint and a quick swap over I could see that this was in much better condition with quite a bit less wear than the original, after fitting, gave it a quick spin round the block, gear selection feels more precise (but it was ok before) and an annoying little rattle from the gearlever at certain revs has now gone, pleased with the result!

On inspection of the original gearlever, after a quick clean-up, I noticed that this had at some point in the past been broken and repaired, finish is not the best! Will get my blacksmith to improve matters in due course and now designated as a spare to keep in the car. (Did it break because it was worn???).

They crack from the groove for the circlip which notionally secures the domed chrome gear indicator plate; I've broken two now.

That would reduce the diameter of the shaft at that point making it weaker and thus more vulnerable to failure at that point. Were your two breaks with the same car? Do the three-speed gear levers have the same problem?

Chatting to a mechanical engineer about the problem, he said that failure was most likely from vibration causing metal fatigue, the long stem setting this up to fail, dealing with the vibration may help longevity, probably a bit too late in the day now given how old the cars are and the amount of vibration they would have experienced!

The repaired lever is probably much stronger, pity that this is more worn that the one I have just fitted!

I have this wrapped up as a spare and popped it in the car, just in case!

Not just smaller section but the machined groove is a stress raiser. When you think about the leverage applied it is positively begging for a fatigue failure long term. No, two different cars but both 4-speed. I don't think 3-speed ball change levers have this groove as the gate is marked on the gearbox top (though that perhaps does not make them immune either). If properly welded you should be good to go, and it can of course be tidied up with a little attention from a grinder.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Chris KC - 09-01-2019, 01:55 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM