The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Way back on page eight the weigt of the pretty maroon Roesgart was mentionedto be at about 650kg /13cwt. A 1920s three speed Chummy weighs around 430/450 kg 8 1/2cwt according to the handbook, a lot less. I believe even late Rubies are under the Rosegarts weight so leasurely meanderings on flattish roads may be the order of the day. Where I live more than a couple of three speed Sevens have had 4 speed boxes fitted, if nothing else to stop baulking all the four speeders changing gears at very different speeds when out on a club run. Flea weight Chummys should roll on happily between gears so are you sure everything else is in excellent shape, including no dragging brakes (let alone a headwind).
re. SU carbs. Now it's over 60 years since I last played with Morris Minor and 850cc mini carbs the memory may be a but shakey. My instructions for initial setting the jet was just above the bridge, never under, sorry can't remember the number of flats the jet was lowered. Anyway, once the enginge ran and warmed up the dashpot needle was raised slightly and if the revs raised and stayed there the mixture was too weak, ie. needle still too close to jet. Revs dropped, too rich, jet/needle gap to big. Ideally when raising the dash pot the revs first rise then fall to stalling, and then M/Minors rasped back through the exhaust on the overrun perfection was nigh - never seemed to work on the mini's though. Running, or trying to without a spring never seemed to work as the revs became very 'wooly'.
peter.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by peter burton - 26-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM