The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(18-11-2018, 06:52 PM)JonE Wrote: Beautiful car. Is there anyone else that has a similar model you can speak to. Presuming its steel, it looks a lot, lot weightier-built than say an alloy chummy with similar low compression engine and 3 speed box?

Kerb weight is approx. 650 kilo's.....(and I'm some. 95...). don't know about chummy's.....

(18-11-2018, 06:56 PM)Chris KC Wrote:
(18-11-2018, 06:30 PM)Michael D Wrote: here's an update on the SU on my Rosengart.
Yesterday at last we had some time to test drive the car with the new ALR 30 degree inlet + exhaust manifolds cum SU. ’t was some 8 degrees Centigrade but sunny so the Missus donned a warm coat and gloves to share the drive with me….. She kinda liked it. A lot
Mind you....The exhaust manifold is a bespoke item that’s not available off any shelf…. 

I’ll post some more pics separately hopefully showing the space they take up.
The top of the float chamber is approx 14 cms above the engine’s head. 
The intake ram pipe just fits within the space underneath / inside the bonnet; it lines up more or less with the left front chassis member
We’ve measured the entire arrangement protrudes appoximately 20 to 22,5 cms ‘sideways’ from the engine block

[font=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,

Testing this was a mixed-emotion experience ; it pulls okay in 1st and 2nd (even though not quite as lively as I had hoped for) reaching revs that to my ears sounded like more or less the max advisable (fitting a small OS tachometer to the dash is one of the next jobs on the list) but when finding 3rd gear (which is still a bit of a struggle as the ‘3rd gate’ is a bit hard to find) there is a huge drop in revs and no ‘pull’ whatsoever, the car taking ages to ‘accellerate’ (i.e. Crawl) beyond the speed attained in 2nd gear. 
Yes I did replenish the scuttle mounted fuel tank to over 3/4 so that should be of no influence; fuel supply should have been sufficient.
Judging by the little farts firing back now and then from the exhaust when double declutching the mixture is rich enough.. (may be a tad too rich???)

No fuel pump has been fitted as yet as the one I had arranged is a bit too bulky to fit together with the Malpassi filter king cum pressure regulator as there just is not enough space under the Bonnet 
So I’ll have to settle for a small Facet style 6 v pump instead.

Nevertheless I’m puzzled; Is it customary with these 3 speed boxes that 3rd is such a long one that the engine will hardly pull after shifting up from 2nd or is it me losing too much momentum finding 3rd gear as the Missus so kindly suggested ….. 
I've had it confirmed that there's quite a gap between 2nd and 3rd but that there's nigh to no discernible acceleration in 3rd seems a bit odd... so if anyone has a spare 4 speed gearbox lingering around that 'll fit my LR4N2.... drop me a message and make me an offer I can't refuse[/font]
Yes to the above Michael, but I'm just wondering have you checked your points gap / timing?

Actually Chris.... the thought about advance / retard timing has crossed my mind (any more concrete suggestions for me after changing the Solex carb to the SU thingy?) ; points gap should'v e been on the spot but we'll have to look into that as well...

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Michael D - 19-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM