The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Thanks Chris and Colin - think I'll make it 9 1/2" long with a 4 1/2" long flat, put it in the hole and fill the sump with oil to see where it gets to and adjust lengths to suit - that's the plan for now anyway.
(02-02-2019, 06:54 PM)Scarlet O\Hara Wrote: Thanks Chris and Colin - think I'll make it 9 1/2" long with a 4 1/2" long flat, put it in the hole and fill the sump with oil to see where it gets to and adjust lengths to suit - that's the plan for now anyway.

It's been said before, but if you are running a 6 pint Nippy sump you will struggle to get the oil up to temperature on all but long, fast runs. Better to part fill it.

I confess I've run a Nippy with deep sump for donkeys' years without it once crossing my mind that it should have a longer dipstick!!
Having changed the rear axle oil last week, I've left the car on the axle stands so I can check over everything while the wheels are off. I used the old diff oil to give the rear springs and brake cables a bit of TLC, greased the spring pins and checked the rear hub tightness, using my electric hammer gun and a 3/4whit hex socket and replaced the split pins. I was also going to apply some fresh underseal to the inner and under wings but what was left in the tin had gone off, so a trip to the DIY store tomorrow.

Seems the valve chest cover is leaking again, so that's the next thing on the list.
Trying to remove the small screws that hold the 2 parts of a Ruby/Pearl windscreen together, they won't budge.
Feeling a bit chuffed having got all the studs out of my block without mishap preparatory it going into Park Engineering for new valve seats.
Not having removed studs for forty- five years I invested in a couple of Koken extractors (1/4 and 5/16). These give a very good feel for what the stud is doing and an "oh sh##" moment when I thought I'd snapped one proved to be the Koken's idiot proof feature that appears to cause the extractor to let go above a certain torque. Still needed to get the Stillsons out for the long one under the water inlet which had corroded so much it was in between the 1/4 and 5/16 sizes. Heating and hitting the reluctant ones did the trick.
Spent today messing about with the instruments, at last they are all present although I did need to recalibrate the new Oil pressure gauge as it didn't read below 10psi so not much good on a squirt feed car and the speedo is completely wrong I think the odometer and the speedo are not matched (An electic drill 60mph for one minute does not equal 1 mile) and 50mph in the car = 20mph on the speedo which I expected as I have a 4 speed gearbox so more work to do there.

The Air Fuel Gauge is still there as after the 5th SU needle (M1) it's nearly right.

And lastly I would like to find a black face for the clock but at least it does tell the time.

[Image: Resized-IMG_20190206_183503036.jpg]
Cheers

Mark
Well I’ve only had my Ulster Rep for a week.....my first Seven...so I just keep finding myself popping into the garage to have a look and an explore! Just drawing up a list of things I want to do to it....better horn, filter or mesh over open carb intake, replace the rather nice clock with a suitable period style tachometer ( I’ll be needing advice about wiring it up! ) isolation switch for the battery, move the oil pressure gauge to fit the patent plate.....and no doubt more things!
(06-02-2019, 10:22 PM)Jays Wrote: Well I’ve only had my Ulster Rep for a week.....my first Seven...so I just keep finding myself popping into the garage to have a look and an explore!  Just drawing up a list of things I want to do to it....better horn, filter or mesh over open carb intake, replace the rather nice clock with a suitable period style tachometer ( I’ll be needing advice about wiring it up! )  isolation switch for the battery, move the oil pressure gauge to fit the patent plate.....and no doubt more things!

I have used the reproduction (electronic insides) tacho from http://www.austinrepro.com/gauges.htm

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers

Mark
(06-02-2019, 11:25 PM)Mark McKibbin Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 10:22 PM)Jays Wrote: Well I’ve only had my Ulster Rep for a week.....my first Seven...so I just keep finding myself popping into the garage to have a look and an explore!  Just drawing up a list of things I want to do to it....better horn, filter or mesh over open carb intake, replace the rather nice clock with a suitable period style tachometer ( I’ll be needing advice about wiring it up! )  isolation switch for the battery, move the oil pressure gauge to fit the patent plate.....and no doubt more things!

I have used the reproduction (electronic insides) tacho from http://www.austinrepro.com/gauges.htm

looks good - but very expensive !
(07-02-2019, 12:00 AM)Tony Press Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 11:25 PM)Mark McKibbin Wrote:

looks good - but very expensive !

Hi Tony,

My special like most of them has looks that only a mother would love so I thought have a lovely dashboard as that is what I see. Changing the body would be even more expensive!
Cheers

Mark