The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(03-04-2021, 07:42 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: 30 mph signs that flash if you go too fast and those signs that give you your speed as you pass are both useful for checking the accuracy of a speedometer.
Some years ago the Sheffield council put a "know your speed" camera just above the Dore Moor Inn on the apex of a right-hand bend. Sadly, the fools failed to put a limit on the speed it would show and, as a consequence, the local farmer had stretches of his field wall beautifully rebuilt by the insurance companies of those who tried for FTD - but failed to real that 90 m.p.h in a worn-out Peugeop 306/Golf/Astra etc, was just not on.

Tony,

That brings to mind a remark from a film called 'Twin Town' where a CID officer says about the twins :" driving a stolen BMW at 90 miles an hour on the wrong side of the road is beginning to take the p*ss."
Took Easter eggs - and real ones - to my grandchildren in Buxton.
Re speed signs. Many here state SLOW DOWN when 50 kph is reached so seldom get a reading.
I cycle a bit for exercise and also seems to sharpen coordination more tham modern driving. While traffic is held by lights i get a straight run at one light slightly downhill. I have only once managed to get it past 50 kph but I suspect it might have taken a few years off my already quite lengthy life, so now content with 40. (Feel very exposed at reasonable speeds. Motor cyclists must have steel nerves).
Well done, Bob. I also have managed twice on my bike to get the SLOW DOWN notice on the downhill section of Felton Mathew Ave, Glen Innes. I wasn't acting my age. Was very exhilirating, though. I felt younger after that.
Try as I may, I have failed so far to get a speeding ticket on my Brockhouse Corgi. I use it for shopping with a basket on the front.
I frequently try this on the A65   at Kirkby Lonsdale. Unfortunately I cannot resist attempting to lower the rear of my shorts at max speed, but taking one hand off the handlebar slows me down significantly as well as increasing the chances of a serious off…. Haven’t quite got the timing right….One day.  Big Grin
Day three of staying local...

Making the most of the glorious sunshine - before the Arctic blast arrives!

Believe or not I had a Corgi several years ago and its registration was MPH 120.

I eventually sold it to raise some much needed funds but retained the number plate to this day.

Prior to selling it I offered it to the National Motorcycle Museum on permanent loan but a very off-hand chap said that they only wanted it if I gave up title!
Foxtrot Oscar comes to mind!
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
We had a great run round The Borders. Started at Gattonside and head down back roads to Earlston then on towards Duns. There we turned off over the Lammermuir Hills through Longformachus to Humbie.
It was very windy and the Lammermuirs are desolate & exposed. At the highest point we reach 1,3020ft. The fabric saloon isn't keen on a strong, 45mph with higher gusts wind A headwind makes it hard work and difficult to keep a straight course with side winds.
Tailwinds were something else though:

From Humbie onto the A68 to Lauder then over the hill to Galashiels then home.

Total 75 miles
Jim