The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Just like old ladies at bus stops. Never one, always two, discussing the frequency of Austin Sevens, Manx Nortons or Sentinel steam lorries inevitably passing in pairs.
It used to be the gaggle (storm?, shower?) of Vincents I was sometimes lucky enough to see on New Years day that I hoped for.....

Another Peak District run out in another "back on the road" car yesterday.  I got this little special at the same time as the blue boat tail from the same person as a "job lot" with the intention of getting them both into useable condition and then keeping whichever suited me most.  This one needed a bit more work as it came with an engine in bits and missing pistons, and no wiring.  I had the block bored +40 thou and fitted new pistons and rewired it for 12V as it came with a 12V Dynamator (alternator dressed as a Dynamo) and electronic distributor and a fancy modern 12V geared starter motor.  It's a 1930 chassis (I think it started life as a van) but has a later engine and 4 speed gearbox.
Its a bit more civilised than the 3 speed Boattail as the gearbox is a bit quieter and the engine has rubber mounts and the suspension feels a bit firmer, but I think the 3 speed is more fun for some reason.  This one's also got indicators and brake lights which probably help in traffic.  
It still needs a little work to the throttle linkage, but overall it seems to run really well and the partly rebuilt engine is very quiet much to my relief as I'd never put an A7 engine back together before.
It's a tight little cockpit an I'm not sure gear changing would be possible with a passenger !

is that the little one that was green and then blue? It looks good in red!
I don't know of previous colours - I have a few old photos, but they're black and white so I can't tell. The red paint looks like it's been there for some time and there's no evidence of previous colours, but it could well have been green or blue at some stage. The information I've got suggests that the car started life as a garage delivery van in Essex!
In contrast to many specials that, to me, is a lovely looking car - the full wings being a great help in making it look "professional".
The body on this special was constructed in the 1950s by Arthur Archer. It was subsequently fitted onto another chassis and built up into a new special for Alan Nye by The Austineers in the late 1970s. The wings IIRC are (or were) fibreglass.
That seems to tie up some of the info I've got - I've got some old pictures including a calendar from Arthur Archers Garage showing the car possibly in the '50s. The body seems really nicely made, in alloy with a steel bonnet. The wings are still fibreglass - it'd be nice to replace them with steel if I could find any. Who are the Austineers and are they still around? (I've googled them and found a country music band!)
Thanks
Steve
Hi,
"It's a tight little cockpit an I'm not sure gear changing would be possible with a passenger !"
Do you mean with a female passenger without beeing slapped?
JonE you are thinking of the special that was for sale in Kent a couple of times. This is not the same car.