The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(12-01-2021, 11:51 AM)AustinWood Wrote: In winter I've never found a fan belt needed.

(12-01-2021, 08:44 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: It hasn’t been a good day carwise today. Nothing serious, just annoyed at my own stupidity. I thought I would shift my A7 into another shed as the one it was in is about to be demolished. Reversed the newly restored  Landrover out of the way to get the A7 but hit the grandkid’s garden swing. Only smashed a rear light. 2 minutes later tried to start the A7 but it appeared to seize up. Looked under the bonnet to find the bathtowel I had put round the engine entwined with the fan and pulleys. Fortunately I managed to unravel it eventually with no damage. Decided to give up with cars today and do the ironing!

Dave, Was that no damage to the car or bath towel. 

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.

In the old days driving a Ruby twenty miles would be utterly unexciting. Today had to convey documents to the accountant, and rather than just drive three miles to the Post Office, the extra seven to the accountant's letter box seemed like a good idea. Little traffic, no fallen trees or floods, just a gentle exercise. Mind you, as I walked past  a bus stop, I could hear two old ladies muttering behind their masks "'Ave you heard, that bunch of crooks called Coys are at it again."  " Mark my words, if they try to come over the Severn Bridge just now, the police will stop them and send them back to England!"
Been out for a run round the block today and had a "Eureka!" Moment. Since I did the run to Santiago there has been an annoying rattle in the cabin that I just couldn't locate, but today I found it. The problem was it only occurred at certain speeds or engine revs, but I finally nailed it down. It was the bakelite surround to the horn and control levers that was rattling, because one of the screws had stripped its thread. I took the cover off, ran a thin film of silicone over the joint faces and replaced the stripped thread. Silence is golden!

Rubies running about smoothly and reliably are jolly good, but time for a little wrestling with a Chummy in the workshop. And today's dreadful discoveries are discovered dismantling front brakes. It really is a job to know what to say. Quite a lot of  Parts List p.32 now needed, but so far no cherished support worker has got any relevant bits. Back to the phone, then.
Crikey! I’m speechless!
Hi Steve

I think you may be having to phone someone who can make the bits rather than supply them.  Your lucky you have the adjusting quadrant   I had to make mine ?. Fortunately I had one on the RK to copy.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Seven workshop have the pivots which may help?

Our cherished suppliers, whilst pretending to have better things to do in the evening,  do indeed look at what we're up to on the forum. Sometimes this results in a stern telling off on the phone. In this case it resulted in certain parts being dispatched, my mechanical ineptitude having caused me to incorrectly describe them. The supplier is a modest chap who never boasts, but suffice to say that whilst the bits arrived almost before I knew they had left certain shelves, if they had taken a maritime tour, ending coming up the Mon & Brec Canal but beginning by going down the North Walsham Canal, they would still be days away. Thank you Jamie. Now that the temperature has soared at least one and a half degrees above zero, its down to the workshop to put the brakes back together.
The problems with the early handbrake mechanism are not always limited to the pivot pins but also afflict the holes in the bracket, which are usually worn very oval. I usually braze them up and re-drill, giving a bronze bearing surface if done carefully. Can be a fiddle though.....
Hi Parazine

You beat me to it!

I welded the holes in my bracket and then drilled them. 

Cheers

Howard