The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi All

I remved and replaced a 1 1/2 crank in a 1 5/16 crankcase many times while I was trial fitting it.  I can think of a lot better words to describe this process.  Unfortunately none will get past the censor ?.

Cheers

Howard
It is reassuring to hear that I am not the only one who found it a job to remve the crankshaft. Much as I am looking forward to getting the engine running, I do not relish putting the thing back in again. Still, I need to sort out replacement bearings first as the roller and ball bearings are rough.

Jamie.
Hi Jamie
Are the bearings really rough or is there a trace of dirt or a brush hair in them? The common failure mode is slight clearance, often largely the result of corrosion more than wear. I would be interested if conventional failure pitted bearings are ever encounterd. Unless rust pitted from long standing
Hi Jamie

Are the bearings really rough or is there a trace of dirt or a brush hair in them? The common failure mode is slight clearance, often largely the result of corrosion more than wear. I would be interested if conventional failure pitted bearings are ever encounterd. Unless rust pitted from long standing

Hello, Bob.

To be honest, I am not sure yet. I need to give them a good clean to check. I plan to use the ultrasonic cleaner to shift any grit and then warm air to dry them out thoroughly.

Jamie.
I'll send out pictures when I have finished the job, but today I am going to make a box to put on the luggage rack into which I will put a pretend shotgun. Then along with owners of Austin Sevens, Morgans and a Marlin or two we will set off on Sunday to watch some modern machinery going up Shelsley. Going hunting, officer, look I am wearing a deerstalker!
I have tried to separate the housings from the rims of my rear lights (small round pattern with faceted glass lens) No doubt it is a mix of paint and corrosion, but they are not items to apply much heat to, not can they be gripped in a vice or with giant Sttillsons.....Soaking in penetrating fluid has not had any effect, not careful scraping around the outside visible join. One still has a rubber gasket retaining the lens, the other lens is loose. from a 1929 RK saloon
I did 5500 Rpm in fourth gear on the way to work at 6.30 this morning. ( Car has electrical rev counter in place of petrol gauge.)
3.25 x 19" tyres with modern sports ratio back axle.
I managed to hold 6000 Rpm in third on a long uphill as well.
The new radiator and four blade fan did the job well.
I have been told (by the manufacturer of mine if I remember correctly) to be wary of putting bearings in an ultrasonic cleaner for any period of time, as the constant shaking and hitting can damage the surfaces. I would ask Messers Giggle, Goggle and Gargle first.
Peter
(15-09-2020, 07:09 AM)Jamie Wrote: Hi Jamie

Hello, Bob.

To be honest, I am not sure yet. I need to give them a good clean to check. I plan to use the ultrasonic cleaner to shift any grit and then warm air to dry them out thoroughly.

Jamie.

When drying don't use the old apprentice trick of spinning with an air gun- with an unloaded bearing rotating at many revs.  the balls can slide smearing the tracks Huh

(15-09-2020, 10:39 PM)Spex Wrote: I have been told (by the manufacturer of mine if I remember correctly) to be wary of putting bearings in an ultrasonic cleaner for any period of time, as the constant shaking and hitting can damage the surfaces. I would ask Messers Giggle, Goggle and Gargle first.
Peter
I haven't heard this- I would think it could take quite a while for an ultrasonic cleaner to cause false brinelling with an unloaded bearing but it could be worth limiting the time.
Thank for the advice and suggestions on cleaning the bearings. I shall pop them in for a short while for a couple of times, turning them between times to expose different areas. I was going to dry them with a fan heater.

Jamie.