The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I took the speedo cable out of the RK to investigate why the speedo was so erratic.  Turns out the sheath had come unsoldered causing the cable to hardly reach the drive.

Why is worn aluminium and grease (like that found all over the speedo cable) an absolute pain to get off your hands!

Howard
(23-10-2018, 07:55 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: I took the speedo cable out of the RK to investigate why the speedo was so erratic.  Turns out the sheath had come unsoldered causing the cable to hardly reach the drive.

Why is worn aluminium and grease (like that found all over the speedo cable) an absolute pain to get off your hands!

Howard

Perhaps you already do Howard, but those who don't a 'top tip' is to use barrier cream on your hands before working on the car. It is of course conceived to protect your skin but has the side effect of making your hands much easier to get clean, especially if you work it under your finger nails when applying.
(23-10-2018, 08:06 PM)Chris KC Wrote:
(23-10-2018, 07:55 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: I took the speedo cable out of the RK to investigate why the speedo was so erratic.  Turns out the sheath had come unsoldered causing the cable to hardly reach the drive.

Howard

Perhaps you already do Howard, but those who don't a 'top tip' is to use barrier cream on your hands before working on the car. It is of course conceived to protect your skin but has the side effect of making your hands much easier to get clean, especially if you work it under your finger nails when applying.

Off topic, sorry, but I use latex gloves, by far better than barrier cream (which makes the skin feel greasy - I bought a tub years ago and still only half used, should really chuck it out), keeps the skin clean, a downside is they can make your hands sweat in hot weather!
(23-10-2018, 08:15 PM)GK5268 Wrote:
(23-10-2018, 08:06 PM)Chris KC Wrote:

Howard

Off topic, sorry, but I use latex gloves, by far better than barrier cream (which makes the skin feel greasy - I bought a tub years ago and still only half used, should really chuck it out), keeps the skin clean, a downside is they can make your hands sweat in hot weather!

I do use latex gloves GK but the first sign of a sharp edge and they're history...
Evening all....  Today was the first day to have a good look over the latest stage of madness in my life, sometimes it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

I had been toying between the idea of building a rat rod, or maybe a pre war restoration, when this came along..

So today I have been having a very good look around it, my intention is to get it mechanically bang on, ideally make the brakes work more effectively and rebuild the motor/box/ axle.. whatever is needed ( Any advice on worthwhile upgrades most willingly accepted ! )

The bodywork and trim will be left as is, although the bonnet and panels need livening up a little, although the "tractor" look is starting to grow on me... I believe that she is 1929 and had sat in a dry workshop for forty years after being stripped down for restoration.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Had a busy afternoon cleaning out the 26VA carburettor that was retro fitted to my RN before I got it. Then enjoyed showing Forum member GK5268 what I had achieved by way of tidying up before we went for a short drive, or attempt, kept stopping but managed to get back in short bursts. Then enjoyed driving his Ruby, bit different than the RN!! I should have taken out the  carb needle and cleaned it earlier, full of crud. Runs OK now. Made the decision to buy Tapox and Fertan to deal with the crud in the tank. If I could find a Ewarts main & Reserve petrol tap it would help. Tried to buy a banjo filter gauze, but can't find one. Doesn't appear on the Burlen parts list. Hey ho. Need to replace the fabric joint and carden boot next. Time for second half of footie.
Went to the pub, for the lunchtime/driving fizzy water. Gave a lift to a pal who has a 1928 Swift fabric bodied saloon. He said how impresed he was that the Ruby is so fast. Well faster than the Swift anyway.
(23-10-2018, 08:37 PM)Biddlecombe Wrote: Had a busy afternoon cleaning out the 26VA carburettor that was retro fitted to my RN before I got it. Then enjoyed showing Forum member GK5268 what I had achieved by way of tidying up before we went for a short drive, or attempt, kept stopping but managed to get back in short bursts. Then enjoyed driving his Ruby, bit different than the RN!! I should have taken out the  carb needle and cleaned it earlier, full of crud. Runs OK now. Made the decision to buy Tapox and Fertan to deal with the crud in the tank. If I could find a Ewarts main & Reserve petrol tap it would help. Tried to buy a banjo filter gauze, but can't find one. Doesn't appear on the Burlen parts list. Hey ho. Need to replace the fabric joint and carden boot next. Time for second half of footie.
Thanks to GK5268 he found a gauze filter for me on ebay. Ordered.
I'm still trying to find some of the gloves Ruairidh wears, all the ones I use end up in two pieces in minutes, a thumb and palm section and four fingers and a back section. I've tried vinyl, latex with no difference.
(24-10-2018, 09:22 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I'm still trying to find some of the gloves Ruairidh wears, all the ones I use end up in two pieces in minutes, a thumb and palm section and four fingers and a back section. I've tried vinyl, latex with no difference.

Dave,

A little talcum powder inside the gloves and they slip on no problem.

Roger