The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi All

Following on from previous posts on early car brake cross shaft supports here’s my take, fitted today.

The two brackets are brass 28mm pipe supports. Soldering in a 28mm copper pipe brings the diameter to just larger than the cross shaft (1”).  The bolt can be turned in or out of the support for fine adjustment. Which is necessary as it is easy for the shaft to “stick”.

I may change the cross head screws to mimic some originality.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   5636B1D9-3207-42C4-976D-9E8FC4B39F3D.jpeg (Size: 82.44 KB / Downloads: 551)
.jpeg   FB30550C-1F96-4AC2-A637-FE4726212AC9.jpeg (Size: 117.72 KB / Downloads: 553)
A job I've meant to do for a long time - extending the shaft on a Bosch type distributor. Instead of the drive gear hanging off the end of the shaft, it now is fully supported by a shaft of the correct length. Did one on Sunday afternoon and another this afternoon so that's the Ulster distributor and its spare sorted. Will do those for the Chummy next. Of course, the SWB Saloon doesn't bother itself with such modern contrivances and is perfectly happy with its original type Lucas DJ4s!

Steve
Fitted a new inner tube to replace the one punctured way back on 1st September when the valve pulled out.
Even those of us who are retired are using lockdown to play catch up!
Stay safe,
Roger
what have i done today.

stood outside at 8pm clapping my hands Wink

tony
Howard just apply a little putty to those Phillips screw heads to disguise them and paint the whole clamp with a brush and air drying black enamel. Job done

Aye
Greig
Now that my little part time job has folded for the foreseeable future, now is the time to give the long suffering Polo a great deal of TLC that it has needed for some time, including sorting out the oil leaks, fitting a new door etc etc etc!. So it effectively came off the road today for the work to be carried out. That means that the Seven (in combination with the Series 3 Landrover) is now the main means of transport in the Stepney household.
Hi Greig

Good call.  Might just do that.  Although I use “Technogrip” a Lechler paint with rust proofing properties. (Not necessary on brass I know).

Cheers

Howard
[center]     [/center]

Statisticians observing traffic in Abergavenny this afternoon could have produced figures indicating that Austin Sevens accounted for about 10% of private vehicles. Mere observers would have noticed that the roads were almost empty. I hasten to assure forumists that it was an essential journey, but empty roads and perfect weather naturally caused one to ignore any other machine, even a forty year old  French one with a canvas roof.
Wow! That is some reversing light you have there Steve. No comment about pavement parking.
The reversing light was put on for the Measham. As it is the only light on the car that  has not,  for some years and previously untroubled by scrutes, been LED, the diktat of Colnbrook might have allowed me to try the Measham in stern gear.  I think that might not have been such a good idea. The driver might have been able to drive all night at 20mph in reverse, but how would the navvy have seen where we were meant to be going? What is that distant chorus I hear, "how does the navvy ever see where we are meant to be going."

The Art Director writes, on the pavement to avoid including in the picture the only white van for miles, the restriction parking sign and the grey litter/fag ends bin. The many hours at the keyboard awaiting us might encourage me to learn Photoshop, when I can snap the machine badly parked anywhere and then clean up the image afterwards.