The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I took the Seven over the Berwyns today to go and feed the horses, then on through Llanfyllin and on to Llanfihangel-yng-Gwynfa to visit a friend. Whilst i was over that neck of the woods, I also popped in to see one or two other people that i had not seen for years

I had intended to be out only for the morning and to wash cars this afternoon, but, having called to see yet another friend in Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, I didn't get back home until well after dark, having covered over 70 miles in total.

A lot of the miles were covered though muddy single track lanes and the car now looks as if it has been trialling!

.jpg   S02CI001.JPG (Size: 124.23 KB / Downloads: 679)

In the lane by the horses paddock in Llangynog

.jpg   S02CI002.JPG (Size: 130.36 KB / Downloads: 681)

Outside 'The Royal Oak' in Pontrobert
Today I made and fitted a stiffener to stop the cross shaft hanger flexing on an uncoupled chassis. I used an old 1 5/6" big end cap ran the white metal out and silver soldered a 5/16" set screw to it. Then using a secondhand head stud adjusted it and locked it in place. Usual modifications done to the cross shaft to allow greasing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very smart - puts my single bolt to shame!
Yes, and mine. Must try harder.
Alan Fairless
Thanks for sharing Rob, nice work.
I use a single bolt too.
On the nearside I've fashioned a bracket using a modified exhaust clamp to connect the cross-shaft to the crossmember to prevent it moving back under braking.
I intend to make something better but haven't quite got round to it.

These two modifications improve the brake balance considerably.
Jim
I did the thermostat mod today and took my RN out for a spin.
It was soon noticed that the engine warmed up quickly and then maintained a constant temperature irrespective of where and how it was driven.
I know it's early days but it seems to be a first class mod.
I managed to use the larger size hose for the whole length, two short pieces of the original hose used at either end as a reducer inside the larger making it hardly noticeable, the only giveaway is the third jubilee clip holding the stat.

Thanks yet again for this super website
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Barry - did you buy the one in Ruairidh's link, and do the same drilling through the edge? And did you find anything other than blue for the hose?!
Nice mods, Robert.
I wanted some custom (formed) radiator hoses for my Ulster rep. and two sets were made for me by the Goodflex Rubber Co. at a very modest price. They used 160C resistant black silicone rubber but with a nylon 'wrapped' finish which looks very 'vintage' - sample image below. This was 7 or 8 years ago now, but they could not have been more helpful.

.jpg   Nylon Wrap.jpg (Size: 632.62 KB / Downloads: 338)

Goodflex Rubber Co. Ltd
Unit 4, Weston Industrial Estate
Honeybourne
Evesham
Worcestershire
WR11 7QB

Tel: 01388 841480
www.goodlexrubber.com
I purchased the recommended thermostat and got some proper black rad hose from my local factor. I did take a picture but haven’t fathomed out how to download it to this site yet. It’s hardly noticeable once installed, only a purist would spot it which is what I set out to achieve, amazed how well it works. I did drill two small holes before installation, the whole job didn’t take long at all.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !