The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banned
(23-10-2018, 03:34 PM)Alan Wrote: The plural of forum is fora. (From a generation who did Latin at school)
After reading the below from https://grammarist.com/ I will stick with forums although this forum is "scientific and scholarly".

Fora and forums are plurals of forum. The former conforms to the original Latin, which some people prefer, while others like the Anglicized form. Neither is right or wrong, and choosing between them is mostly a matter of preference. Be aware, however, that forums is by far the more common form in most types of writing throughout the English-speaking world. Fora still has the edge in scientific and scholarly contexts, though. This is not surprising, as Latin forms are typically more common in these types of writing. Outside these contexts, fora can be distracting and even confusing to readers who are used to seeing the English word.
(23-10-2018, 03:36 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: ...'Stephen likes Latin, regretfully, Latin does not like him. 13%'

Ha Ha! My report was something similar; actually more like 'Michael does not like Latin; the feeling is mutual'
Anybody else remember this?
"Caesar adsum jam forte,
Pompey ad erat.
Caesar sic in omnibus,
Pompey sic in at."
So we're back to cheap abuse then.

Says the bloke who went to a Technical School and has always been suspicious of Latin tags.
To get back to the point:

There was in fact a "yellow card".

The person concerned seems to have taken exception to something on a technical thread, which rapidly degenerated into a savage and completely one-sided attack on another well-respected member.  I've no idea what triggered this.

"Management" took the offending post down and made a perfectly reasonable request to keep things civilised - the Yellow Card.

A new thread then appeared under a title referring to lies and deceit, which repeated previous abusive remarks, with even more offensive additions.  

As far as I can gather it was this posting that resulted in the ban.  

This was a truly vile personal attack that was suggesting conspiracies and had nothing whatever to do with Austin Sevens.  It's a great shame, as the writer was someone who had made some valuable contributions to the Forum over the years and with whom I'd exchanged a number of friendly personal messages.  However, his comments were so unnecessary and unpleasant that my personal opinion is that Management had no alternative but to ban him.
The grammar school near to our school had a good motto (according to a friend who went there ) "Dominis is nobis twisas big asminis") I think he may have been pulling my leg!
Cheers,
Dave
(23-10-2018, 05:29 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: To get back to the point:

There was in fact a "yellow card".

The person concerned seems to have taken exception to something on a technical thread, which rapidly degenerated into a savage and completely one-sided attack on another well-respected member.  I've no idea what triggered this.

"Management" took the offending post down and made a perfectly reasonable request to keep things civilised - the Yellow Card.

A new thread then appeared under a title referring to lies and deceit, which repeated previous abusive remarks, with even more offensive additions.  

As far as I can gather it was this posting that resulted in the ban.  

This was a truly vile personal attack that was suggesting conspiracies and had nothing whatever to do with Austin Sevens.  It's a great shame, as the writer was someone who had made some valuable contributions to the Forum over the years and with whom I'd exchanged a number of friendly personal messages.  However, his comments were so unnecessary and unpleasant that my personal opinion is that Management had no alternative but to ban him.
Thank you, Martin.
(23-10-2018, 05:43 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: The grammar school near to our school had a good motto (according to a friend who went there ) "Dominis is nobis twisas big asminis")  I think he may have been pulling my leg!
Cheers,
Dave
Hi dave,

That sounds a bit nortious maximus to me.

Or even a bit bigus dickus.

Tony.
I'ts an old saying my Gran used " If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".
When users on a website are swearing and upsetting people it is the admin's duty to remove them. I personaly don't react to harrasing comments, Sometimes it is for me difficult to read it as a joke or an attack as English is not my native languish. On websites you are only typing to each other and don't see each other face to face so a joke can be inturpetted as an attack. I can speak English well and write it too but things in grammer and style can be misunderstood but I won't attack people on their posts. Sorry for my English, I can write it down in Dutch or German if you like Hahahah