The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedy at Edmonds Auction
When Nick Turley speaks - I listen.

You are in good experienced hands there.
Zeto..
It has a milder cam in it already but the original one is with the car.
(21-10-2018, 03:43 PM)James Anderson Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:48 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:30 PM)JChris Garner Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:20 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Just wondering if this found a new home today and at what price.
I understand it was not a factory built car, and not a replica either, nevertheless it looked lovely,I 
would have liked but have too many other projects and cars.
I definitely would have bought the one at HVA Auctions but the price was so talked up here
that I didn't bother to go and was surprised when it went for £12000

Z,
The car has a new home. It is a Type 75, not a Speedy and thus a factory car. There is no way you can compare the example sold at HVA with this one.
Chris

Hi Chris, How do they differ? This one was described as being built from a factory supplied body,
that does not make it a factory car.It is on the Speedy register but not as a factory built car
I was not making a comparison with the HVA Car, that needed a total rebuild

I'm also intrigued by this distinction. I always thought that the term 'Speedy' was similar to that of 'Ulster' and not a true Austin 7 production term. I could be wrong but was under the impression thought that it was known officially as an AEK Sports 2-Seater. As one of the principle reasons for this post, I would also be intrigued to know what this car and others realised at the auction as currently they are all listed as 'not sold' on the website.

Fiinally, as to what happened to the parts and bodies post the design being 'dropped' by Austin. One of the most fascinating 'post- production' variations that I've witnessed, admittedly many years ago at Beaulieu, a skeletal one appeared on a trailer owned by a Frenchman. It had a correct engine, bulkhead and instruments but oddly calibrated in metric! This suggests that it was built in France but by whom ?  And what happened to it ?
James,
As I said I am no expert but as the car was registered early January '34 it must have been ex Austin works. As I understand it the 75 was marketed as a 75 and when Austin's changed the name to Speedy this was the name it was marketed as. Yes I agree, both the terms  " Ulster " and " Chummy " were never used by the Works.
Interesting you mention the French car. One surfaced in Paris a little while ago, in a very butchered form I believe, but I have no further details other than the owner is holding onto it! Maybe it's the same car.
Tony, Martin Baker has already invited me to Curburough in March. I've got some work to do on the car...dash, bonnet fit, wiring, and off course, fitting a Phoenix crank and rods, or fitting another complete engine I know of. So it may be in the UK for a bit and I would love to attend some events.

Erich in Seattle
(21-10-2018, 11:14 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: As I said I am no expert but as the car was registered early January '34 it must have been ex Austin works.

It possibly supports that it might have been Austin registered on an interesting number later taken off, as WO cannot be its birthplate. That is quite exciting as to what it might have been.

Erich - there was a brand new Phoenix crank and rods going in the VSCC mag this month, but not sure if it was 1.5" or standard.
(20-10-2018, 09:20 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Just wondering if this found a new home today and at what price.
I understand it was not a factory built car, and not a replica either, nevertheless it looked lovely,I 
I definitely would have bought the one at HVA Auctions but the price was so talked up here

Z,
The car has a new home. It is a Type 75, not a Speedy and thus a factory car. There is no way you can compare the example sold at HVA with this one.
Chris

Hi Chris, How do they differ? This one was described as being built from a factory supplied body,
that does not make it a factory car.It is on the Speedy register but not as a factory built car

I'm also intrigued by this distinction. I always thought that the term 'Speedy' was similar to that of 'Ulster' and not a true Austin 7 production term. I could be wrong but was under the impression thought that it was known officially as an AEK Sports 2-Seater. As one of the principle reasons for this post, I would also be intrigued to know what this car and others realised at the auction as currently they are all listed as 'not sold' on the website.

Fiinally, as to what happened to the parts and bodies post the design being 'dropped' by Austin. One of the most fascinating 'post- production' variations that I've witnessed, admittedly many years ago at Beaulieu, a skeletal one appeared on a trailer owned by a Frenchman. It had a correct engine, bulkhead and instruments but oddly calibrated in metric! This suggests that it was built in France but by whom ?  And what happened to it ?
If I remember rightly the one trailered from France had at some time been converted into a newspaper delivery truck, rather spoiling the elegant back end!
(22-10-2018, 10:52 AM)Robert Leigh Wrote:

Z,
Chris

If I remember rightly the one trailered from France had at some time been converted into a newspaper delivery truck, rather spoiling the elegant back end!
Correct, Robert. A friend sort it out last year, reported on its parlous state and that the owner intended restoring it. I somehow think it won't happen!
Pease give my best to Fenella.
Chris
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-Seve...:rk:2:pf:0

Is this the same car?
Whilst writing did anyone not the price of of the Ruby Lot 2152 last minute hitch prevented attendance!
(22-10-2018, 11:57 AM)Gulfb Wrote: Whilst writing did anyone not the price of of the Ruby Lot 2152 last minute hitch prevented attendance!

From the results page, it sold for £2500. The estimate was £3,500 -£4,000
(23-10-2018, 04:54 PM)Austin Carr Wrote:
(22-10-2018, 11:57 AM)Gulfb Wrote: Whilst writing did anyone not the price of of the Ruby Lot 2152 last minute hitch prevented attendance!

From the results page, it sold for £2500. The estimate was £3,500 -£4,000

Thank you, results hadn't come up at the time and now disappointment!