The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedy at Edmonds Auction
Nice one erich,

That is a fantastic car.

I viewed the car at its previous owners house last year. If you haven't contacted him yet, I think it will be worth doing so. As He is a long time owner of the car and one of the best. And may be able to tell you more about the car.

The car is as good in the flesh as it is in the pictures, as the previous owner always likes to put good condition, and the correct parts on his cars.

Tony.
(21-10-2018, 10:04 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: The car is registered Jan. '34, the Type 75 being introduced that month.

that's good to see but could it now be on another plate, or is Glasses unreliable? (probably) Glasses lists the last 1933 registration as WO7908. 

This car and 187640 must both be pre-production as Wyatt lists the first 75 Sports as 193974... April... (but that is body number 3).
(21-10-2018, 09:49 AM)JonE Wrote: contratulations, Erich! It sits well.

does it have a car number? I've always wondered what that earliest one listed was.
It's on a Monmouthshire plate originally registered end of 1933.

Reg Jan1934 see DVLA Website
(20-10-2018, 09:48 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:30 PM)JChris Garner Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:20 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Just wondering if this found a new home today and at what price.
I understand it was not a factory built car, and not a replica either, nevertheless it looked lovely,I 
would have liked but have too many other projects and cars.
I definitely would have bought the one at HVA Auctions but the price was so talked up here
that I didn't bother to go and was surprised when it went for £12000

Z,
The car has a new home. It is a Type 75, not a Speedy and thus a factory car. There is no way you can compare the example sold at HVA with this one.
Chris

Hi Chris, How do they differ? This one was described as being built from a factory supplied body,
that does not make it a factory car.It is on the Speedy register but not as a factory built car
I was not making a comparison with the HVA Car, that needed a total rebuild

I'm also intrigued by this distinction. I always thought that the term 'Speedy' was similar to that of 'Ulster' and not a true Austin 7 production term. I could be wrong but was under the impression thought that it was known officially as an AEK Sports 2-Seater. As one of the principle reasons for this post, I would also be intrigued to know what this car and others realised at the auction as currently they are all listed as 'not sold' on the website.

Fiinally, as to what happened to the parts and bodies post the design being 'dropped' by Austin. One of the most fascinating 'post- production' variations that I've witnessed, admittedly many years ago at Beaulieu, a skeletal one appeared on a trailer owned by a Frenchman. It had a correct engine, bulkhead and instruments but oddly calibrated in metric! This suggests that it was built in France but by whom ?  And what happened to it ?
(21-10-2018, 03:43 PM)IJames Anderson Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:48 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:30 PM)JChris Garner Wrote:
(20-10-2018, 09:20 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Just wondering if this found a new home today and at what price.
I understand it was not a factory built car, and not a replica either, nevertheless it looked lovely,I 
would have liked but have too many other projects and cars.
I definitely would have bought the one at HVA Auctions but the price was so talked up here
that I didn't bother to go and was surprised when it went for £12000

Z,
The car has a new home. It is a Type 75, not a Speedy and thus a factory car. There is no way you can compare the example sold at HVA with this one.
Chris

Hi Chris, How do they differ? This one was described as being built from a factory supplied body,
that does not make it a factory car.It is on the Speedy register but not as a factory built car
I was not making a comparison with the HVA Car, that needed a total rebuild

I'm also intrigued by this distinction. I always thought that the term 'Speedy' was similar to that of 'Ulster' and not a true Austin 7 production term. I could be wrong but was under the impression thought that it was known officially as an AEK Sports 2-Seater. As one of the principle reasons for this post, I would also be intrigued to know what this car and others realised at the auction as currently they are all listed as 'not sold' on the website.

Fiinally, as to what happened to the parts and bodies post the design being 'dropped' by Austin. One of the most fascinating 'post- production' variations that I've witnessed, admittedly many years ago at Beaulieu, a skeletal one appeared on a trailer owned by a Frenchman. It had a correct engine, bulkhead and instruments but oddly calibrated in metric! This suggests that it was built in France but by whom ?  And what happened to it ?
Just to add to intrigue, Wiley's built LHD ones under licence.
Also a number of years ago on ebay there was a car listed as 65, but on looking at the photos 
it was either a 75 or speedy but the vendor insisted it was a 65.It looked correct Speedy except for the tail was not quite the right shape, I think it was in the Bournemouth area,does it ring any bells?
James, Chris had mentioned earlier that the differences were that the Speedy had a shorter column and an Ashby wheel, while the Type 75 had a Blumels wheel and a longer column. Also, the Speedy had cloth wiring whereas the Type 75 still had armored. This car has cloth so I will be converting to armored. It was also my understanding that no or few Speedys were assembled by Austin. Most of this info came from Nick Turley who had a very nice Speedy.The hammer price was 26500, which I feel quite good about, given the general consensus was that it could and should go for close to 40,000. I believe Nick's car went for that four years ago, and that was near mint, from what I understand.
Bargain.

I don't think you could anywere near find the parts and build it today for that.

Are you shipping it home or will you be at shows with the car next year.

Tony.
That is great value and good to hear that things are becoming sensible again.

I hope it proves less work than your other Seven.
Thank you all for the kind words. Ruairidh, my only concerns are the engine, which has the original crank and the dash. The former will likely get changed to a Phoenix and the latter has a vinyl cover which covers some extra holes which will need to be plugged and then the whole bit should be body color. Unfortunately, according to Nick Turley, removing the dash is very difficult, not like an Ulster dash, so it may have to be done in situ.

Erich in Seattle
(21-10-2018, 08:16 PM)Erich Wrote: Thank you all for the kind words. Ruairidh, my only concerns are the engine, which has the original crank and the dash. The former will likely get changed to a Phoenix and the latter has a vinyl cover which covers some extra holes which will need to be plugged and then the whole bit should be buddy color. Unfortunately, according to Nick Turley, removing the dash is very difficult, not like an Ulster dash, so it may have to be done in situ.

Erich in Seattle

Erich, I would put a milder cam in it to preserve the crankcase as well.