The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator Fixings
(15-10-2018, 08:32 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Remember, the studs are merely for location, the radiator is firmly supported by the bracket on the header tank.
That's my understanding too Mike. Which leaves me baffled as to how they made it so expensive - a simple peg would have sufficed, surely?
Chris, it was possibly for ease of assembly in the factory - the radiator could be securely fitted to the chassis before the grille and bonnet made an appearance?
I'm sorry if i'm missing something but do I understand that the studs as pictured in Mikes photos don't actually secure the radiator to the chassis brackets? do they merely drop through the oversized hole in the brackets and the long spring loaded nuts don't actually hold the radiator on place?

I understand what has been said about the studs being for location only but I had imagined a large washer or some such device to restrict vertical movement.

..... Phil.
Yes, the studs do fasten the radiator to the chassis brackets (and I am sure there should be decent-sized washers!) but they alone are insufficient to secure the radiator and there is a very rigid mounting bracket on the header tank which ensures there is no great torsional load on the studs.
After the studs on my rad. pulled out yet again I decided to delete them and solder plates (2p pieces) over the holes and made up some rubber pads shaped to hold it reasonably securely in place on the mountings. That was several years and a good many miles ago and it hasn't been a problem -   as Mike says, the rad is held in place by the bracket on the top tank and of course the hoses.

Alastair
(16-10-2018, 03:36 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Yes, the studs do fasten the radiator to the chassis brackets (and I am sure there should be decent-sized washers!) but they alone are insufficient to secure the radiator and there is a very rigid mounting bracket on the header tank which ensures there is no great torsional load on the studs.

Or even tension load.
Smile 
Tension and torsion, Tony! I was think of the twisting movement that might pull the studs out of the bottom tank  Smile