The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring a registration number to an A7
(18-04-2019, 02:23 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I wouldnt be overly concerned, other than you now have to apply for an age related plate via the club.

Hi Hedd,

What concerns me far more is the peculiar business of this 17 character chassis number that the DVLA have said has to be stamped into the chassis by a franchised garage. Now that the DVLA have destroyed my V5C, can I even drive the car legally any more, to get to said garage?

(18-04-2019, 04:03 PM)Jamie Wrote: Out of interest, did the chassis number on the car differ from that on the logbook by much?

Jamie.

Hi Jamie,

Yes, very much so! And undetected for the entire 33 years of my ownership until a month ago.

I can only speculate as to why the V5C and the actual car do not match, but I have a very strong suspicion about what has occurred. When I bought the car all those years ago, it was in a barn with a number of other Austin Sevens, all of which were subsequently sold. My one didn't have any number plates on it, not because they had been removed, but simply that the only remaining one was of a painted type, and the paint had long since given way to rust. So the original number is unknown. The then owner had therefore secured an age-related number for the car around the time that the DVLC computer system came into play in the early 1980s.

In short, I suspect that I simply received the wrong V5 document at the time of purchase and that someone who bought one of the other cars unwittingly went away with the V5 that should have been mine. I talked about all of this in my letter to the DVLA.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - by Ian M - 18-04-2019, 04:05 PM