The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
standard exhaust performance
Has the pipe been pulled out of position or does it really run between the wheel and wheel arch?
Bob that's the position, it's really tight I had to take advantage of the wheel being narrower at the spokes and kink the pipe out as it passes the tyres. With the 7/8th pipe it's doable.  cheers  Russell
One thing that may make the Sevens of today more lively Bob is the fitting of lip seals to the diff and hubs in place of the felt seals.
I'm having difficulties with my front pipe joint sleeve on a non-standard item (not sleevey enough to give strength to avoid an extra hanger point where it goes through SWB front cross member; its also a bit large in diameter and close to edges of hole)... but I do have a LWB front pipe here.

Is the issue with pattern LWB front pipe that it must go underneath the front chassis rail, thus has a different angle from the manifold and could never go through the SWB chassis 'ole?
[attachment=4234 Wrote:JonE pid='18217' dateline='1540279319']I'm having difficulties with my front pipe joint sleeve on a non-standard item (not sleevey enough to give strength to avoid an extra hanger point where it goes through SWB front cross member; its also a bit large in diameter and close to edges of hole)... but I do have a LWB front pipe here.

Is the issue with pattern LWB front pipe that it must go underneath the front chassis rail, thus has a different angle from the manifold and could never go through the SWB chassis 'ole?
As far as I'm aware nobody makes a LWB front pipe that fits the manifold with updraught carburettors and which passes through the hole in the front cross member, see photo. The LWB front which is available is for the manifold with side draught carburettor, the outlet flange of which is orientated slightly different to the up draught one, this pipe passes under the front cross member which is cut away at a shallower angle. The SWB front pipe is the correct shape to fit an updraught carburettor manifold and pass through the hole in the front cross member but is too short for a LWB car. The one in the photo is a SWB front pipe lengthened for a LWB car

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(22-10-2018, 04:42 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: One thing that may make the Sevens of today more lively Bob is the fitting of lip seals to the diff and hubs in place of the felt seals.

Why? Is it a reduction in friction or am I missing something else?

Jamie.
(23-10-2018, 09:57 AM)Dave Mann Wrote:  The LWB front which is available is for the manifold with side draught carburettor, the outlet flange of which is orientated slightly different to the up draught one, this pipe passes under the front cross member which is cut away at a shallower angle. 

Thanks - I think this is my problem - its an unidentified LWB pipe and I do have sidedraft manifold fitted - fine - but you have confirmed the routing is obviously different. But as its a better diameter for a tight fit onto the silencer I may do that.
(11-10-2018, 07:44 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Unlike cars with boots, provided not too many rust holes, with a short exhaust little chance of exhaust entering the cabin.

So would it be OK to use a SWB silencer (with the integral short, side exiting tailpipe) on an RN? Seem to remember that Morris 1000 vans had this type of tailpipe.
I have just found that the combination of the LWB front pipe with SWB chassis routes the exhaust 3" further inboard (parallel with the centre line of the car still), so its closer to the battery box and more importantly, not at a good angle for a little stub to emerge neatly in front of the rear wheel... Hmmm.
The 'standard' exit for the little stub tail pipe on earlier cars is inwards rather than out in front of the rear wheel.
Jim