The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Speedometer 4 Speed Gearbox
I have at last finished the special and on the first drive noticed the speedo reading about a third what it should do (odometer as well). I'm pretty sure if it was a magnetic type speedo it could be adjusted to suit but not sure about the "PA" mechanical type. Not fussed about the odometer.  I know there are ratio adaptors available that attach to the cable but is there another way?
Cheers

Mark
See recent thread 'Speedo Gearing' Mark.

Boils down to an adaptor box or recalibrate speedo I think.

Or fit teeny wheels....
If you  replace the worm wheel and pinion with same  from a 3 speed the speedo will read right.
It means stripping the output spider and removing the rear cover from  both boxes . there will be a small amount of  machining to the bronze worm to fit it to the 4 speed box.
Just make it measure the same as the 4 speed one. the worm has more starts on it which gears up the speed about 2 x.
Cheers Steve H Rolleyes
Mark,
When my speedometer was not working I found the gearbox was assembled with no worm drive fitted.
This would obviously have caused problems as it acts as a spacer on the gearbox shaft.
On investigation I found there there were variations on how many starts there were on the worm and also how many teeth on the pinion. I had an 8 & 9 tooth pinion available so fitted the 9 tooth pinion and single start worm.
They appeared compatible but The Speedo shows about 30mph, the satnav reads 40mph.
There is an article in the BA7C somewhere I believe about speedometer drive gearing.

Roger
My RP has got faster and faster over the last couple of years and now regularly clocks 75mph!

Meanwhile, the 5-mile run into Hereford has stretched to around 300,000.

...........and as I'm now getting around 15 million mpg, why should I complain? Maybe that explain why the fuel gauge never moves.
Thanks for the replies, I think I will make a ratio correction box that will, as the speedo goes to 100 mph, make it read kph as I live in the metric country (Australia)
Cheers

Mark
More info here:

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...5&cmd=show
(05-10-2018, 08:13 AM)Mark McKibbin Wrote: Thanks for the replies, I think I will make a ratio correction box that will, as the speedo goes to 100 mph, make it read kph as I live in the metric country (Australia)

Mark I have used these guys in Brisbane. They do a cable inline gearbox, quite robust and any ratio you wish. They do a lot of classic cars and bikes. cheers  Russell

http://www.ottoinstruments.com.au/