The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Across the Alps in a Vintage Austin Seven (1948)
The usual apologies, one can never know who has read what; but I don't recall seeing this account before, and found it quite entertaining. The system for managing cooling on Mont Cenis is worthy of note!

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archi...cba1185463
Excellent - thanks for sharing!
What he said.
Hi Chris

Great article, thanks for sharing.

The cooling procedure reminds me of a trip I made many years ago up the Kyber pass.  Huge old Bedford trucks decorated in multi colours and reflective tape ground up the very steep gradient.  They were also laden with passengers (some carrying Kalashnikov’s) but two or three boys of about 10 years old sat on the front mudguards.  Every now and again a boy would jump off and, carrying a watering can, would run up ahead of the truck to a water point, fill the can and jump back on the truck as it travelled past.  The filler didn’t have a cap and the water was poured straight into the steaming radiator.

Cheers

Howard
(06-03-2023, 06:15 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Chris

Great article, thanks for sharing.

The cooling procedure reminds me of a trip I made many years ago up the Kyber pass.  Huge old Bedford trucks decorated in multi colours and reflective tape ground up the very steep gradient.  They were also laden with passengers (some carrying Kalashnikov’s) but two or three boys of about 10 years old sat on the front mudguards.  Every now and again a boy would jump off and, carrying a watering can, would run up ahead of the truck to a water point, fill the can and jump back on the truck as it travelled past.  The filler didn’t have a cap and the water was poured straight into the steaming radiator.

Cheers

Howard

Braver than I am Howard! But it's instructive (in both cases) that the radiators and blocks apparently tolerated a sudden influx of cold water, even when at boiling point. I've always hedged my bets and admired the scenery a bit before adding cold.
Tales of derring-do, I'll say! Thanks for posting that, most entertaining