The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Austin Seven on holiday in France
Dear friends,

Sunday last my wife and I left our home in Staffordshire in our 1930 RK saloon for a two week holiday in France. Following a hard day's drive to Portsmouth, we crossed the chanel overnight to Caen. Then using minor "D" roads through  Normandy to Blois; then, Moulin, Lyons to the Haut Savior near  Annecy. 

Our route has taken us through beautiful countryside and it has been very hot at times (38c) but the car has coped wonderfully well. Although we have a sunshine roof it has had to be closed at times to protect us from the sun. 

With more than 1200 miles covered I have oiled the kingpins and greased the fan pulley and steering joints etc, togeter with oil drops to the clutch thrust bearing. Following R's episode last year, I checked the gear box level with the engine dip stick and it was just above the mark and as it was when we left home. I have added 1 pint of engine oil at 500 miles and another just now and that is Comma SAE 20/50. Also put  half a pint of water in the radiator. Have been using  unleaded  98 with no fuel vaporisation issues.

We are both at the elderly end of Austin Seven Friends and we are enjoying our adventure in France and the car has been unbelieveably good. We are due back home at the end of next week.

For some reason writing this post has taken a very long time using our Ipad mini.

Best wishes to you all. Bryan and Roberta.
Well done,enjoy the rest of your trip.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Formidable!
Sounds great!

Please do post pictures when you can, safe trip onwards!
Bon Voyage ! Have a great time the French roads are terrific. 
The French really like old cars!
I doubt that you're getting any benefit out of running on "Sans Plomb 98" as opposed to the cheaper "Sans Plomb 95". My RP has been running on it for years without any problems and I don't use any additives. I would tend to shy away from E10-95/98 due to the ethylene content, but in the absence of Regular 95 unleaded the Super or Sans Plomb 98 is a good option. Supermarket fuel outlets are always good value in France. Just be aware that many are now going "credit card only" at lunchtimes or even all day.

The really hot weather has passed and  temperatures are settling down to levels more in keeping with late summer. Enjoy the rest of your tour. Remember it's uphill on the way back!
First a correction to the mileage covered: should have read just over 900 miles at 40 mpg and filling up about every 100 miles where possible so that we don't run short although we have the essential 1 gallon can. 

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

At the moment we are holed up at a very nice small familly run hotel: Au Gay Segure about 50 miles south of Geneva and 20 miles south of Annecy. We first stayed here in 1984 and the same family still run it! 

Tomorrow we plan some mountain climbing to the Col de Croix de F----- something but can't just remember. Will be able to tell you tomorrow.

By-the-way, I am running with LED lights on all the time for extra presence! And thanks R we will try and keep safe. I sometimes think I'm getting too old for all this but my wife says: not at all and we must keep our sence of adventure 

Regret can't do pictures at the moment but will try later.

Bryan.
Forclaz!

Know it well, enjoy!
Thanks Ruairidh ... We will!

Today we did an Alpine tour starting at Tertonez, then climbing to Thones for a coffee stop and view their fantastic Saturday market, then climb Col du Marais at 843 meters, followed by a great climb of the Col de la Croix Fry at 1467 meters, decend and visit La Cluza, then climb Col des Aravis at 1486 meters, then back to Tertonez. About 65 miles in all with great views of Alpine meadows, trees mountains with lots of attractive ski villages ......car enjoying the climbs and receiving  much interest  and attention.

Our last dinner at this hotel tonight, and then a planned 140 mile drive towards Macon in Burgundy tomorrow.

Taking lots of pictures with normal cameras, sorry no smart phones or means of up loading yet. Have a mini Ipad not normally used for pictures but if I can get one on it I will try to upload.

Bryan.
Sounds fab!