The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
soft brake linings?
(27-09-2018, 10:51 AM)Tom Coates Wrote: There is some discussion on model A ford forums about this. Apparently woven linings are better for steel drums and composite/moulded linings are better on cast iron.
I've never tried woven linings but they have brass fibres in them which I wouldn't think would be great for friction.
I've just bought some cast iron drums from Tony and am going to try them with some of the grey composite linings, possibly bonded onto the shoes with epoxy in addition to the rivets to make sure they stay put.

Hi jonE,
My understanding from customers on linnings. Is the older the supply the better.

I would use the old grey woven type first if I can get them, they tend to be a softer linning. 
If not I would use the older aspestos linnings supplied by the worshop 30 years or so ago. Aspestos works well, but obviously be cearful and responsible with it.
I can understand toms quotes on the modern woven with brass or steel thread in it. There are many people who won't use the clutch linnings with brass and steel in. It works well to start with, then the brass thread kicks in?
Maybe the suppliers of the newer composite will have to come forward and tell us what the spec is expected to do, and be used in conjunction with. It's no good just useing composite for modern hydraulic brakes.
The nice thing with bonding on linnings, is that you can tell the company what you are useing them for. And they should be able to suggest a material for your use.

Tony.
(27-09-2018, 10:51 AM)Tom Coates Wrote: There is some discussion on model A ford forums about this. Apparently woven linings are better for steel drums and composite/moulded linings are better on cast iron.
I've never tried woven linings but they have brass fibres in them which I wouldn't think would be great for friction.
I've just bought some cast iron drums from Tony and am going to try them with some of the grey composite linings, possibly bonded onto the shoes with epoxy in addition to the rivets to make sure they stay put.

I am running A7Components woven linings (riveted on) on cast iron drums from Tony B. and I'm still happy with the combination!