The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6V battery
(18-09-2018, 02:53 PM)JonE Wrote: I've found these the cheapest for my last purchase: https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batterie...kMQAvD_BwE

I have purchased 2 of these Exide Vintage batteries from this company (tayna) over the last couple of years. Good product, excellent service and delivery.
I had one off tanya delivered to work in Shrewsbury about a month ago. 70odd quid. Next day delivery
Yeah i would definitely go for the Exide battery. The other style 'hard rubber' sold under various guises is rubbish, having had 2 fail within a year.
Many thanks for your replies just bought a new 6V from Tayna as suggested
Don't forget that a newly delivered battery will not have a full charge. Best to give it a full charge on the bench before you use it. Then use an Accumate to keep it topped up.

My 6v Exide, in the RP has now been giving excellent service since 2013. A direct earth to the engine is a worthwhile investment, with an isolator.

Edgar, have you checked that the dynamo output on your car isn't too high? A battery really shouldn't shrug off it's mortal coil after a year unless it's either been left flat or over charged and boiled dry.
I am interested whether the various batteries mentioned are traditional (with accessible  filler caps) or Low Maintenance (usually sealed or semi sealed, and maybe mention of calcium etc).

Low maintenance batteries are even less suited to extensive un regulated use in car, and traditional bench charging technique is also unsuitable.

Many are using modern bench chargers intended to be left on and suited to Low Maintenance batteries. If anyone has monitored charge volts over time with an accurate meter I would be interested in the results.

(For moderns not in regular use, it is ironic that the Low Maintenance batteries hold charge indefinitely but the diodes in the car draw constant current and run the battery down as of old)
(18-09-2018, 01:53 PM)Edgar Lowe Wrote: Hi

My YUWSA 6V battery is dead it is over 1 years old. I need to replace it, any suggestions and where to get it from?
Many thanks

Try battery megastore that's where mine came from
As to the life of a battery, my A7 6v has just died after 6 years of abuse. Its final demise was to leave it untouched for 11 months (My fault). The output now is about 10 amps max, enough for the coil, but not enough for the starter. Tried charging it with a smart charger, replaced some of the electrolyte for acid to bring the S.G. up a bit, to no avail. Likewise I have a spare 6v from my old 2CV (which I converted to 12v) - That's dead because it has been left uncharged for 2 years.

Best thing for a battery is to use it regularly !
Bob
If you have a smart charger the best advice is to always have it connected and switched on when the car is not in use. Well that's what the instructions on mine recommend however I seldom take my own or the manafactures advice.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.