The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magneto Drive Rotation !
James do you know if the mag ever worked in a clockwise direction. Because if it did I would be asking the repairer why it has become anticlockwise.

John Mason
(14-09-2018, 09:04 PM)DJohn Mason Wrote: James do you know if the mag ever worked in a clockwise direction. Because if it did I would be asking the repairer why it has become anticlockwise.

John Mason

The arrow of direction is clearly clockwise, surely it should have been rebuilt as a clockwise
Mag, no good for an Austin Seven if it's anti-clockwise.
Thanks, again everyone and as David has acknowledged, what a great resource the Forum is. Obviously, the restorer is a bit embarrassed about all this especially as the line of rotation is clearly marked but the contact breaker set up must have been an important clue that all was not right. I'm still not sure how we'll retrieve the situation and I've got other important matters to distract me, which may not be a bad thing. However, I'll keep you posted on what transpires. Maybe another magneto restorer will have the right parts to save the day otherwise a lot of time, effort and money will have been wasted.
In answer to John Mason's question, I took a gamble and purchased this magneto at an autojumble about 20 years ago in full knowledge that it didn't work and with no idea what car it came off. I'm attaching a few photos (hopefully!) that clearly show their differences, the one with the trailing orange wire is the magneto with the anti-clockwise drive. 

[attachment=3848]

[attachment=3849]

[attachment=3850]
Hello James
Both sets of points are the correct rotation for an Austin 7.
I see no reason why they cannot be re-timed correctly.
Adrian.
(15-09-2018, 11:44 AM)James Anderson Wrote: In answer to John Mason's question, I took a gamble and purchased this magneto at an autojumble about 20 years ago in full knowledge that it didn't work and with no idea what car it came off. I'm attaching a few photos (hopefully!) that clearly show their differences, the one with the trailing orange wire is the magneto with the anti-clockwise drive. 

Looking at the pictures of the points I would say the cam could satisfactorily rotate either way in both.

The rotation timing issue would be the build up of the spark. 

Cheers, Tony.
Just a quick guess... BMW produced the seven under license. And for that they literally built the same engine only mirrored for the LHD. May it be that the magnetos due to the side change also had a diffrent rotation direction? Its more of a question than a helpfull comment. If its total nonsense... shame on me for asking.

Greets
Rob
Well folks, thanks again to the forum and some more recent entries regarding the restoration of magnetos, following an 8-day break in France, off I went to Steve Hodgson at SMH Restorations this afternoon. Half an hour later the Magneto had a strong spark when rotating the drive clockwise ! The solution, as recommended by some contributors, was to remove the cam and realign it (in the same position as another functional clockwise driven Magneto). We were both a bit surprised that the original magneto expert didn't come up with the same idea.
I have a gadget here which looks like a Magneto body but houses a coil and a distributor. Seems to be all Lucas. Is it a 'period' item or after market? Also, which direction should the rotor arm turn when seen from the 'flywheel' end, for a Seven?
Thanks
Rob
Sounds like a Mag-Coil conversion and if, for an Austin 7, it should have the same rotation of drive as the Magneto. I would've thought it was also an aftermarket product. A photo of it would be useful as it would reveal its 'seating arrangement' (in a 73mm wide trough/groove next to the crankcase) and its type of drive gear.