The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wing Piping. Rear wing RN
I need to replace the wing piping to the offside rear wing of my RN. I read somewhere that the wing is attached using rivets rather than nuts and bolts. My query is do the rivets need removing or can the piping be slipped / pushed in after original removal?
In anticipation. Peter.
Remove the wing and treat the rusty remains that you find there. replace with bolts (Unless you are a rivet counter perhaps). You won't be able to just push the piping in as it should have a flap attached to it which is about 1" wide.
My RP had a lot of work done on it in the 1940s but the guards attach by threaded fasteners which should be visible in the arches. If it t is typical of so many cars you may regret having had a look or attempting! At least in the past the area seemed incredibly prone to rusting. 
The original beading was a canvas/fabrid type, not smooth plastic And not white!
(05-09-2018, 11:01 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: My RP had a lot of work done on it in the 1940s but the guards attach by threaded fasteners which should be visible in the arches. If it t is typical of so many cars you may regret having had a look or attempting! At least in the past the area seemed incredibly prone to rusting. 
The original beading was a canvas/fabrid type, not smooth plastic And not white!

Yes mine is canvas/fabric but is breaking up badly in places. I don't think I want to pump some gunge in but am afraid that water will penetrate and cause further rusting underneath the piping. I was hoping that if the wing can just be released away from the body and new piping slipped in and the threaded rivets done back up OR is that feasible? I read that the rivets have to be clouted with a cold chisel! Seems a bit drastic.
If you loosen the wing retaining bolts and then remove the old piping you can cut the new piping flap to miss the bolts (and any other restrictions), slip it in the gap and retighten.
(06-09-2018, 08:44 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: If you loosen the wing retaining bolts and then remove the old piping you can cut the new piping flap to miss the bolts (and any other restrictions), slip it in the gap and retighten.

Thanks Ruairidh, that's what I was hoping to hear but I didn't have the courage to have a go!
Peter