The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
electronic distributors - any further feedback?
I have been using the Accuspark electronic ignition module in my 1965 Rover P6 for about 12 years and it has been perfect, so when I returned my 1934 Ruby to the road in 2015, I had the original distributor re-built by Distributor Doctor (at quite an expense) and I fitted the kit from Accuspark and this worked ok - when first fitted to my car there were issues with the work undertaken by DD - the dizzy cap was poor quality, the rotor arm spun itself off (causing damage) and the distributor was returned to DD under warranty, where they replaced the cap & supplied a new rotor, they also replaced bushes, which was somewhat odd given that they had just re-built the unit and the car had barely done any miles - that was 2 years ago. I was not very impressed!

Since then, I have done about 1,000 miles, but I am still having issues. After every trip, the rotor arm "rides up" the shaft and I have to keep pushing it down, DD suggested that I glue this in place... Not very satisfactory and I would not recommend DD's work, having had a dizzy twice in their workshops and for it still not to function properly, come on, poor workmanship on their part.

Anyway, since the advent of these new distributors, finding that the re-built DD dizzy was now exhibiting play in the shaft (also found that the side lubrication oiler filler was not doing anything as it hadn't been drilled through to the shaft... thanks DD - beggars belief what they actually did for the money...), about 1 month ago, buoyed by on-line comments, I decided to throw in the towel on DD's re-built dizzy and invest in one of these new Accuspark units. The electronic part is the same as I have been using previously, but the shaft is all new and there is now not any play!

Since fitting the new dizzy, I have done about 100 miles and comparing the re-built DD unit with this new one, the engine feels more responsive and smoother - really should not have been any difference as the electronic components are all the same - but seems there is an underlying problem with the mechanics of the old dizzy, had DD done a decent job then perhaps that would have been the case!,

My only criticism of the new Accuspark distributor is that the oiler is just a push fit into the body - it has no thread although the hole is threaded, bit of rubbish actually, I have temporarily fitted the oiler off the old dizzy - I need to properly cut a thread to fit this properly - if they can improve on this then I think it is a good little unit.

Austin 7 club members get a discount, quote CLUB7 in the discount box and the price is reduced!

Given the rubbish points and condensers that owners report giving problems, DD's failure to do a decent refurbishment job, for me make this new unit a no-brainer!

Just hope that given the failure comments described above that just initial teething troubles, but guess the electronic parts are all made in China, so could be a bit hit and miss, the shaft itself where the slot is cut for the rotor arm is a bit rough and could be better and the rotor arm has a rivet!

I am hopeful!
From Tony at Stealth Ignitions today...

"Regarding the oiler , after feedback we have now decided to have this made and supply with new units. You may inform other members that if they purchased a distributor without this item from us, if they supply there purchase details we will send this upgrade out free of charge"

That's pretty good service.

Note, Gary, there is a £1.50 upgrade for the red rotor arm which doesn't have a rivet. Hardly worth not getting?

Jon
(05-09-2017, 04:19 PM)JonE Wrote: From Tony at Stealth Ignitions today...

"Regarding the oiler , after feedback we have now decided to have this made and supply with new units. You may inform other members that if they purchased a distributor without this item from us, if they supply there purchase details we will send this upgrade out free of charge"

That's pretty good service.

Note, Gary, there is a £1.50 upgrade for the red rotor arm which doesn't have a rivet. Hardly worth not getting?

Jon

The upgrade for the rivet-less rotor arm wasn't offered when I ordered! Surprised that they are still making them like that! I have got a couple of NOS rotor arms that are properly made and will fit these when the time comes.

Is the oiler upgrade threaded or still just a push fit?
it is indeed a soft aluminium push fit. I was wondering whether to just put a dab of heat silicone rubber round the outer edge. Or indeed, just put the darn thing in when required... they still provide the bolt to fit there, and it is threaded!
This is the second time that I have fitted electronic ignition to an 'old' car, this time my very normal 32 RP. In both cases the results have been good and consistent :

Idle much smoother
Pick up much quicker
Flexibility better

Around 200 miles so far. At idle the car is clearly firing on every beat and there is no longer the puttering of an occasional miss. As to pick up, the throttle is generally more responsive and the car feels 'snappier'. Flexibility is difficult to quantify but I seem to be changing gear later on familiar hills. Part of the improvement may be down to having a form of mechanical advance & retard when previously this was manual. I've kept the old leads. The unit demands a little more accuracy in setting and having found the 'sweet spot' I have bolted down the manual A&R so that I can't fiddle with it, otherwise it is quite sensitive to change.

As to the oiler, does it really need one? Assuming the unit's mechanicals to be of a generic '60s design (???) do you remember oiling a distributor shaft from that age? Anyway, if you want to there is nothing wrong with a screwdriver and an oil can.

In summary, a simple job that results in a noticeable improvement that helps with the general way the car works on the road. Happy & content am I.
Regarding the oiler.
I'm not sure from the posts so far if the hole for it is threaded and if so what thread.
If not it shouldn't be difficult to tap a thread in it and fit an original oiler.
Jim
Jim
Who supplies them, what do they cost
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(08-09-2017, 11:57 AM)AustinWood Wrote: Regarding the oiler.
I'm not sure from the posts so far if the hole for it is threaded and if so what thread.
If not it shouldn't be difficult to tap a thread in it and fit an original oiler.
Jim

Yes, on the later ones, the hole is threaded, BUT this is a different thread to the original oiler, I haven't yet looked to see what the new thread is (metric?) and I don't know what the original thread is (quite coarse), the new oiler is just a bent aluminium tube pushed into the hole with a plastic cap, not threaded, rubbish when compared to the original!
Having found out about the oiler from this thread I emailed Stealth Ignitions yesterday and today Jane has put one in the post for me. She writes that the oiler will cut its own thread but recommends using a dab of threadlock and not to overtighten - it will take about one gentle turn.

Great service I think you'll agree.

I have yet to use my distributor in anger - only installed it about a couple of weeks ago on a recently rebuilt 3 bearing engine, but a couple of trips around town and it seems smooth and responsive. I will be driving my Ruby to the Wentworth Woodhouse classic car show on Sunday to join the Sheffield Pre-War Austin Seven Club's stand, so an opportunity to try it out on a longer run.
I said I'd update when I heard back from Accuspark following my new distributor's tendency to self-retard. I didn't hear a thing from them until this morning when a replacement distributor arrived. Its now fitted and running well.
I took the opportunity to investigate the oiler - the thread tapped in the new bodies is M6 but there was enough meat there to re-tap it to 1/4 Whitworth which seems to be what Mr Lucas originally used. As a result I now have an original oiler (Loctited just to make sure)!
I did notice that as supplied, the oiler hole was full of swarf from where it had been tapped originally...

Alastair

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)