The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
electronic distributors - any further feedback?
Stuart Rolt used to advocate doing exactly that with the DK4A - lock the weights up and set 1 1/4 BTDC - about 13 flywheel degrees by my calculation.
Fitted Accuspark today that I had kicking around in a box unused (largely because the advance/retard levers are now incomplete on the DJ4, which has been running fine before I took them off for further investigation)

The accuspark distributor was v. difficult to fire up, but did go in the end from the handle when I turned it 1cm round from where I thought it should be after swapping out the DJ. Yesterday, after some sage advice from James Anderson, I actually took it off and reverted to the DJ4 because couldn't get it started at ALL on the handle after the prolonged saga of my head change. The standard distributor sparked up fine, and then I made the change to the accuspark when warm.

Didnt even bother with the new distributor cap, just left the DJ one with all the leads and swapped it over.

(memo to self, don't change carb and distributor at same time as changing head... too many unknown variables!)

So the difference…

on the drive, the DJ4 (with no advance retard levers remember) revved fine when advanced as far as felt good, but was flat under load on the road and a bit hesitant.

The accuspark was immediately responsive. I’ve set it quite retarded/quiet, as it's got a fair auto advance inside. It feels quite rorty! (So a definite improvement, but will carry a spare etc in case of bits breaking off inside)

As this car is the first of the 1 5/16" cranks, has minimal body, and now has a lovely Ricardo head AND auto advance distributor, it might fly...currently on a standard Ruby Zenith on sidedraft manifold, after removing the similar Zenith which was for an Austin 10 (and thus overchoked)
At the present time my Ruby can be described as an ultra-low emission vehicle - it's not working. I had fitted an Accuspark electronic distributor that I purchased back in 2017 and now out of warranty. I thought it was wonderful, and still do. However, the car has had a number of problems not relating to the unit and so has only covered about 500 miles since fitting. Prior to the 'Sevens to the Sea' run earlier this month the car just died while ticking over. I refitted the manual distributor after the event and ignition was restored, although other problems are currently preventing the car from running. I've exhausted my mechanical knowledge and skills and am ready to concede defeat and appeal to a proper grown-up to help me get back on the road.

Before reaching this hapless situation, I was able to test the unit on the bench as per the very useful Accuspark YouTube video and concluded the electronic module is at fault.

Having contacted Accuspark for advice and knowing the unit was out of warranty they (Jane) agreed with my diagnosis and have very generously offered to send me a replacement module FOC. I cannot praise their customer service and aftercare highly enough.

(I'm tempted to contact Bosch about my 15 year old jigsaw which has just given up the ghost as well, but I don't expect the same level of attention).
(I'm tempted to contact Bosch about my 15 year old jigsaw which has just given up the ghost as well, but I don't expect the same level of attention).

My experience with Bosch and out of warranty repairs has been excellent. They own Dremel and Skil, I believe, and repaired both well out of warranty. They did the Dremel twice, many years after purchase.

Jamie.
I'd like to have a go at fitting an ignition module in my early distributor, has anyone tried this?
There is quite a helpful video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQl6e4hQ88
Very neat - I can put you in touch with Tony if you would like to speak with him direct Tom.
Holy Thread resurrection Batman!

Is there still an accuspark discount code around?
My understanding is that was an introductory discount to get some product out. Assuming it hasn't been left running in error I have not heard of any follow on discount other than perhaps you might find something at a show.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!