The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mating splines
(29-08-2018, 09:50 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Hi,
When lining up the splines, I found it helped to mark a radial line on the gearbox output flange so it could be turned back to where it started if it got knocked during assembly.  Prior to assembly, once the box was in gear, a trial rotation showed how the blind spline moved with respect to this mark.   A mental note was made of the orientation of the mark before the gear box was moved forward with the splines lined up.  Without the mark, I easily lost the track of position of the blind spline, but with it I could always set the blind spline back to the required angle.

Colin

Thanks Colin. Got the gearbox back in this morning and clutch is disengaging nicely so no more graunching — for a while.
Before putting the gearbox back into the car I engaged fourth gear and then removed the gear lever. Next I marked the drive flange with felt tip with mating spline at top. Fourth gear is best I think as minimizes the likelihood of misalignment.
So I reckon getting Pandas to breed is nothing on Sir Herbert’s mating spline!

Thanks all,

Charles
I always place a jack and piece of wood under the bell housing with the wood protruding so that the gearbox can rest on it. It takes a lot of the weight. It can then be slid into position along the wood.
Jim