The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake Balancing Bar Replacement
Good afternoon.

I came across the attached suggestion for replacing the brake balancing bar in the Austin Seven Companion. I am a long way from doing anything to the brakes on my chassis yet, but was wondering whether anyone has any experience or knowledge of this modification. It might be useful if the existing system on my Ruby is beyond redemption.

Regards,

James.
Hi Jamie,

I did mock one of these up many years ago. In theory it should work but there are a number of things that would need sorting or detail setting up. The sketch doesn't have any dimensions and the distances of the two pegs from the centre pivot and from the foot brake attachment would be crucial; long enough to give leverage with the right amount of cable movement to take up the slack - and all with respect to the requirements of the brake levers. This is tricky within the constraints of the overall size and getting the cables clear of other obstacle's. As the piece says, getting the shoes set up and end stopped would be another aspect as would be getting a Bowden cable from the pedal and a hand brake lever ratchet. I've moved away from the idea but I'd be interested if you can make it work?

BTW, I've wondered whether 'Kench' is one of the green books infamous typo's - for French - though the words don't sound like his usual style?

Dave
Dave,

Thank you for your reply. How successful was your mock up? Did you get as far as testing it in practice?

Like you, I was wondering about the sizes and dimensions of the pieces which need to be made and the spacing of the various holes and pivots. Getting these wrong would be so easy and would be detrimental to any efforts to improve the braking.

I am a long way from working on the brakes at this stage, but I am trying to gather ideas and thoughts, in preparation for when I am ready to work on them. If I do have a go at this modification, I shall post an update.

Regards,

James.
For all its faults the main loss in the original is just the crosshaft bearings. In the proposed there is a curved Bowden cable from the pedal and indirect pull to the rear.
I have not driven an uncoupled car but many seem to adapt to. Without (or with?)use of the handbrake the above would not improve total braking power although it would reduce the gymnastics.
I don't believe that's a misprint for my father.