The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E10 fuel...
No problems with Austin Sevens so far......

However, my 2 stroke chainsaw and 2 stroke strimmer have both had the plastic fuel lines disintegrate, which I believe was due to ethanol fuel  Huh
Like Paul I tend to add Tetra Boost to the fuel. Haven't tried it on the Rosengart yet but with our Mini 30 (the standard 998 cc engine but with a Stage one kit fitted) even after having stood for nearly 12 month she started immediately. Furthermore I prefer to buy 98 octane when available bit with Tetra Boost 95 octane works okay as well. In the pas I have encountered starting problems with my TVR 2500 Vixen (TR 6 150 BHP spec engine on two SU's) when that on head stood for a prolonged period.
ISO 7840 Marine fuel hose could be the answer. It has a fire rating as well.
Ethanol in fuel was widely used in the 1920s, 1930s and into the 1940s, there is every possibility that our cars have run on an E blend fuel long before we owned them, or were even born!

My view is fill it up, use it while you can and make the most of every day in your 7.

John
That is very interesting and I fully agree with your view John.
We have had E10 here in Texas for many years. Our 2 Lotus, Elan and Europa Twin Cam, don't seem to mind though I do use an additive in the tank when cars are "resting".
Small carbs, like chainsaw and pressure washer, suffer from a residue which I think is due to water absorbed by the fuel causing corrosion. I drain them after use.
Unleaded fuel, if left to evaporate tends to cause sticky resinous residue which can cause havoc with fuel systems, and it can be a bugger to shift. I always whenever possible, allow motors to run with the fuel switched off until they conk out through lack of fuel so that carb systems are left dry, if there is a likelyhood of extended periods of non-use. Just recently I recommissioned a lawnmower that had lain untouched in my garage attic for the best part of 10 years. I drained the oil and refilled, cleaned the spark plug and added some fresh fuel. After priming the carb it started first pull.

I also have a Honda Melody Mini moped which I've had since the mid 1980s. This gets used probably once every couple of years when the grandkids come visiting. I dragged it out of its dust and cobwebs yesterday, pumped up the tyres, turned on the petrol and it started second kick. The unleaded in the tank has been there for years. I gave it a blast up and down the lane to warm it up, turned off the petrol when I got home and left it ticking over until it ran dry. Hopefully it'll start again next time, just like it always does (that's Honda for you). This little moped is apparently quite rare. According to DVLA there's only 1 left. (not mine because I haven't taxed it since 1992)

I have to admit I have never experienced the stale fuel problems that other forum members have mentioned, but my A7 doesn't sit idle for long periods, even in winter. I use it regularly and as often as I can.

I shall have a go tomorrow and see if the Velosolex will start...
I can recall our local garage when I was a child (early 50s) selling the Cleverland brand of petrol that was advertised as "with added alcohol" I assume the alcohol was Ethanol. Can anyone confirm this.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
It probably was John. Ethyl Alcohol is an excellent octane booster!

John

I suppose the question that should be asked is will our cars run on E85 fuel? 85% alcohol and 15% petrol, or will we be fitting electric motors and batteries?

John
But you get less power from ethanol than petrol so you need more of it.

Simon