The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E10 fuel...
(25-02-2019, 08:36 PM)John Mason Wrote: I can recall our local garage when I was a child (early 50s) selling the Cleverland brand of petrol that was advertised as "with added alcohol" I assume the alcohol was Ethanol. Can anyone confirm this.

John Mason

Yes John.   I can clearly remember my Dad choosing to stop at a garage which sold Cleveland petrol because the added alcohol gave his Morris 8 an improved performance.  I think it may have cost a little more than "Premium" petrol from other companies but when we took our annual holiday and travelled from Woking to the South West he would always fill up from the Cleveland pump.  It was definitely ethanol.

I don't know about you but I really miss the lovely smell of proper petrol that we had back then.
I just fill up with 95 octane at petrol stations, not supermarkets, and have not experienced any problems although my cars don't have any non metallic pipes. I went for a 40 mile run today in a car which had 6 month old petrol, it started and ran OK, until the ignition lead fell out of the ignition switch terminal, fixed in two minutes.
UI have never chosen which fuel to use, just used what’s there. Do tend to use 98 when on the continent, only because I was advised too. 99% of the time is Morrison’s finest, because it’s the nearest.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Nothing A7 wise directly attributable to Ethanol except maybe a reluctance to run with a cold engine on 4 months old RON 95 however, I have today replaced the flexible fuel pipe on my leaf blower/vacuum. That portion of the fuel pipe within the petrol tank was completely rotten after very limited exposure - not a tool used very often and I always drain the fuel after each use. (I will add that it was a pig to replace the pipe - of necessity a very tight fit where it passes through the wall of the petrol tank !!)
I was under the impression that Cleveland Discol was cheap fuel made using an ICI Billingham (in Cleveland) waste product, ethanol, hence the brand name, Dic{ount ethan}ol
Mind you, that was all a long time ago...
This stuff has been recommended to me - might be worth using if the car is laid up over winter:

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products...DoQAvD_BwE
I have been using Ethanolmate https://www.flexolite.co.uk/item.asp?iID=130 seems to help when 7 is unused for a while, no problem with first starting after layup etc.

John
Ethanol has only 2/3 heat value of petrol so mixtures at the same price are a con. Those 50 mpg + Sevens of yesteryear did not dilute with ethanol.