The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy wing beading?
Steel tacks and alloy, electrolytic corrosion....

Common.

What does one expect after 80 years is the real answer...

Sympathetic answer....

What does one expect after 80 years...

Electrolyte paint required after a good clean back...

?

M-M
(14-08-2018, 08:13 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: What about this one then ?

I think this photograph may have been retouched and that the apparent piping is part of that process.
Mike, you are most welcome to add the photograph to the gallery. 

Nick, I can assure you that the photograph has not been retouched. It is postcard size and probably was taken with a roll film camera.
IMHO I don't think the R saloon does have rear wing piping. Increasing the image size, it appears more like corrosion!
I'm not sure I agree with that, Chris. The double line over the wheel-arch seems very uniform as though it is wing-beading, although when you get to the running board and leading edge of the wing there's no sign of any beading there! From the lady's dress I would date the photo as late 1920s rather than early 1930s, so the car is probably only a couple of years old; the registration letters are HW, which indicates a 1927 Bristol registration; can anyone identify the location? The church tower in the background and the parkland with railings is fairly distinctive - it looks like the car is on a private drive, rather than a public road...
The beading looks to end almost level with the bottom of the door. I suspect the apparent ‘soft’ edge which could lead to the corrosion suggestion is the image resolution breaking down due to the magnification.
on full resolution there is "corrosion" visible on the body above the upper point of beading. It's not consistent to all places so probably not resolution-based. And the car has clearly seen some use as the rear wing edge is kinked and the alloy foot plate dented. New tyres on the front but not on rear?
Fair enough all I have acces to is the 1600px wide image shown which is not really a high enough resolution to make definitive call.
Simon - I (sadly) don't have anything more than you! I was just going into full resolution and then going beyond it a bit... but enough to see the patch at the bottom front (merged with darker, presumably mud) and the patch at the top centre.

Most importantly, what is does appear to show is that the light/shadow on the piping is consistent with it being undoctored and original...
(15-08-2018, 10:32 AM)JonE Wrote: Simon - I (sadly) don't have anything more than you! I was just going into full resolution and then going beyond it a bit... but enough to see the patch at the bottom front (merged with darker, presumably mud) and the patch at the top centre.

Most importantly, what is does appear to show is that the light/shadow on the piping is consistent with it being undoctored and original...
I am about to refit the wings/boards to my AG tourer (Short chassis steel "chummy" body) There was plastic piping in place when I dismantled it....should I re-use it????