The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Family camping holiday touring France in an Austin Seven Summer 2018...
Ah - the memories! Heart  Heart  Heart

We awoke to another very hot day, our last with Bruce and Mary who had offered us incredible hospitality and friendship - we are very grateful, thank you both.

We spent the day eating seafood, swimming, packing the car and discussing our route options west.

France won the World Cup that night and we were treated to more fireworks alongside car horns and cheers - it was a very jovial atmosphere to end on.

Bruce gave Tanya some herbs and lavender from his garden which stayed with us for the rest of the journey.

We left Chez Rekkers in sunshine and, after fuelling up with petrol and some food for the journey, we followed Bruce's recommended route up in to the mountains - the houses were varied and the scenery surprisingly green for such a hot place.  After a long and windy climb we pulled in for a picnic, soon taking shelter under a tree from big drops of rain. This quickly became a downpour and we rushed to pack away the food and put up the roof.  

The rain stayed with us all of that day and when we arrived at the campsite in Meyruis I was in no mood to put up the tent so asked if any caravans or similar were available.  To my delight they had one large tent available and I eagerly handed over the cash - it was a much more comfortable proposition than our tiny tent!

Meyruis was the place my parents came to on my first visit to France in 1974 - they took everything needed for the three of us in their '29 tourer and used the rear seat base as my bed.  The holiday was organised by the Bristol Austin Seven Club and around a dozen cars took part staying at the very site we had booked into.  I told the new owners the story and showed some photos of the cars and people who had attended.

Me - 1974 and some of the cars that attended...

The weather was bright and sunny again the next morning and we set up our tent on another part of the campsite while the girls paddled in the stream and looked for baby trout.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Family camping holiday touring France in an Austin Seven Summer 2018... - by Ruairidh Dunford - 17-08-2018, 08:13 AM