The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Bump stop
I have not been able to find bump stops for a late model Ruby from the usual suppliers does anyone know if these are available somewhere?

[Image: resized_IMG_20180802_171342847.jpg]
Cheers

Mark
Mark,

I don't recall ever seeing new ones, though it's possible. Any one building a long wheelbase "Ulster" will most likely cut the chassis extensions off and dispose of them - so you may find second hand ones in a better state than yours. If you're still stuck in a day or so I'll have a rummage through my spares boxes.

Peter.
New ones have definitely been available in the past, Geoff Roe in Nottingham made them. Not sure if anyone does them now, try the cherished suppliers.. If its any consolation they are largely superfluous in my opinion - if called upon to actually make any contact, the car is either grossly overloaded, or the rear springs are completely knackered.
Thanks for the replies,  as no new ones appear to be available I might adapt something to fit.  The car is a special with flat springs so they may be needed although it is very light and impossible to overload.
Cheers

Mark
Mark,

These were available from IN Racing, part number 0507.

http://www.inracing.co.uk/contact-us/
There may be scope for reshaping a chunk of rubber from somewhere else; large tractor tyre, gumboot heel etc. Disc grinders saw through! Could possibly make in two pieces pinned together.
A car in spirited general use can encounter major bumps. Increased risk of spring fracture with very long travel.
Dunno about Ruby but on others the exh gets squashed.
(03-08-2018, 03:05 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Mark,

These were available from IN Racing, part number 0507.

http://www.inracing.co.uk/contact-us/

Thanks Ruairidh,

I've sent them an email, will see what happens.

(03-08-2018, 03:46 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: There may be scope for reshaping a chunk of rubber from somewhere else; large tractor tyre, gumboot heel etc. Disc grinders saw through! Could possibly make in two pieces pinned together.
A car in spirited general use can encounter major bumps. Increased risk of spring fracture with very long travel.
Dunno about Ruby but on others the exh gets squashed.

That idea has crossed my mind ..maybe I could saw a lug off my tractor's tyres or better still the neighbours one.
Cheers

Mark
Mark - check that they are not the ones intended for Box Saloons as I only have a part number, not a corresponding picture/drawing.
I don't know the size of the Ruby bump stop, but a reshaped jeweller's rubber bench block might do the trick.  I recently bought one from cooksongold.com and cut out a pair of rubber hood rest blocks for my 1932 Tourer without too much trouble.  The rubber is perhaps a little harder than original, but that probably makes it easier to cut and shape.
(03-08-2018, 08:19 AM)Mick Hobday Wrote: I don't know the size of the Ruby bump stop, but a reshaped jeweller's rubber bench block might do the trick.  I recently bought one from cooksongold.com and cut out a pair of rubber hood rest blocks for my 1932 Tourer without too much trouble.  The rubber is perhaps a little harder than original, but that probably makes it easier to cut and shape.

As Mick says, I just googled “Rubber blocks” and found a 4” x 4” x 1” on the cooksongold.com site @ £6.50

Roger