The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy questions - front seats. Rear number plate hoop
(28-07-2018, 03:37 PM)jboy964 Wrote: My 1928 Chummy also has a “swing aside” arrangement, as mentioned by AustinWood. Just a piece of cut u shape metal, held in place by a pin, does the job!

This is interesting stuff! My RK saloon has tip up seats, but no means of adjustment (holes in the floor frame for the seat only) I will look again to see what I can do..... What happens on the other side (the non swing arm side?)
My AG Tourer (SWB "Chummy" style steel body) again has four hinges, no swing arms and no obvious way if moving the seats back/forward other than altering the seat mounting bolts.....
As far as the number plate hoop is concerned, mine on the AG is off the car (I have to make up the mounting brackets....four simple "L" shaped ones that were bolted or possibly solid riveted to the floor) I can measure it & photograph the remains of the brackets. You can then fit it to give you the location you want....You may find the holes in the floor. Mine were in bits of lace masquerading as a floor!

(28-07-2018, 05:05 PM)David.H Wrote:
(28-07-2018, 03:37 PM)jboy964 Wrote: My 1928 Chummy also has a “swing aside” arrangement, as mentioned by AustinWood. Just a piece of cut u shape metal, held in place by a pin, does the job!

This is interesting stuff! My RK saloon has tip up seats, but no means of adjustment (holes in the floor frame for the seat only) I will look again to see what I can do..... What happens on the other side (the non swing arm side?)
My AG Tourer (SWB "Chummy" style steel body) again has four hinges, no swing arms and no obvious way if moving the seats back/forward other than altering the seat mounting bolts.....
As far as the number plate hoop is concerned, mine on the AG is off the car (I have to make up the mounting brackets....four simple "L" shaped ones that were bolted or possibly solid riveted to the floor) I can measure it & photograph the remains of the brackets. You can then fit it to give you the location you want....You may find the holes in the floor. Mine were in bits of lace masquerading as a floor!
Here are the Photos. The hoop is 55" long. Mounting holes : 3/16 rivets into the floor & 1/4BSF bolts from the bracket to the hoop 2.5" centres. so the brackets are permanent and the hoop can be replaced if damaged.
The bracket is one single piece folded to the shape ...it has a distinct "slope" to it & the hoop has a similar angle at the mounting ends either to angle the hoop or perhaps the floor is slightly angled & the bracket compensates for this?
Hope this helps. I will be making the brackets next week & will 1/4 BSFbolt them with "penny" washers into the floor rather than using solid rivets

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Andrew Goodfellow at Creative Metalwork can supply the number plate hoop.
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Andr...Q==/?ref=1
Jim
I have the hoop and bolt holes to mount. I just want to know how far it sticks out
I have one of Andrew's hoops.
It fits close to the spare wheel but the offside end is held with a clevis pin instead of as bolt. Once that is removed the hoop can be pulled back to allow the spare to be removed. Works well.
Jim
Here are some pictures of the hoop. Both in normal position & pulled out.

Jim
(29-07-2018, 09:48 AM)AustinWood Wrote: Here are some pictures of the hoop. Both in normal position & pulled out.

That makes some sense! Perhaps the angled section has to bear on the boot floor...just don't pull it too far or it will bend. I will see if I can measure how far "in" the mountings are from the back panel I will measure & draw up the bracket tonight. Mine has two bolt holes in each! I can save time & effort by only drilling one in the o/s !
D
The brackets on my hoop have only one fixing in the bracket at each side. A bolt on N/S and clevis pin with 'R' clip on the O/S. The hoop is a close fit in the bracket and is held firmly in the vertical by the geometry.
Jim
Pictures of rear number plate hoop as taken from my car attached, hope this helps. Hoop is about 28 1/2 inches wide, depth is 13 1/2 inches.

John

I am not near my Chummy just now to measure where the brackets fit on the floor pan but I would try to make sure fitment allows the spare wheel to be removed without the need for disassembly.

The bracket on our RK has to be removed slightly, like Jim’s, I personally find it a total pain and would alter if doing again.
    Hedd,
Enclosed photo of the hoop which I believe to be original. The dimension from the point where the body meets the floor pan to the outer edge of the hoop carrying the number plate is 6 1/4".  Hope this helps.