The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tappet follower guides
Either take the bit off that sticks through into the tappet chest or 1/8" for cam followers reground to 3/4" .Cam followers don't wear.
(24-12-2018, 02:49 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Either take the bit off that sticks through into the tappet chest or 1/8" for cam followers reground to 3/4" .Cam followers don't wear.

Typo there Dave, you mean the follower guides don’t wear.
All the best, Gene
My pet peeve with workshops manuals - the old "check for excessive wear" and giving no indication what that means!

I used the threaded bar and spacers method. I always find pushing or pulling things in or out a better first try as I am far less likely to damage things than flailing about with a hammer! As others have mentioned, big sockets make good spacers for such things.

Simon
I remove and replace the guides in ways similar to those given in the various posting but always find they close up slightly upon reinstalling, making the tappet followers stick. I find I have to carefully fettle the ends whilst in situ with suitable needle files. It does not take much and the removal of metal is minimal.  Do others experience this or am I doing something wrong? 
Chris.
(27-12-2018, 11:59 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: I remove and replace the guides in ways similar to those given in the various posting but always find they close up slightly upon reinstalling, making the tappet followers stick. I find I have to carefully fettle the ends whilst in situ with suitable needle files. It does not take much and the removal of metal is minimal.  Do others experience this or am I doing something wrong? 
Chris.

Exactly my experience Chris
Chris,

The only time I have not had to do as you describe is when the guides drop in (and out) freely! Not very practical as you can imagine and necessitate finding tighter ones that in turn require the work you describe.
so is this "closing up" due the distortion of the metal where they are "pressed"... and "pressing"?
And the filing is just replacing the flat inner surface?
(27-12-2018, 11:59 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: I remove and replace the guides in ways similar to those given in the various posting but always find they close up slightly upon reinstalling, making the tappet followers stick. I find I have to carefully fettle the ends whilst in situ with suitable needle files. It does not take much and the removal of metal is minimal.  Do others experience this or am I doing something wrong? 
Chris.

Happens pretty much every time for me as well, Chris. Similar is required if the guides have been shortened. 

Steve
Relieved! ( Sorry for the pun )
Chris

Relieved! ( Sorry for the pun )
Chris