The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Windscreen frame
1932 AG tourer with two piece screen (as Chummy).
Does anyone know how the frame would have been finished? The uprights are steel & have signs of black paint (enamel?), the frame is discoloured brass, but shows no sign of paint nor plating. Would it have been polished         (& lacquered perhaps) or unpolished brass?
Any ideas?
Steel black paint. Brass chrome plate
(17-07-2018, 10:35 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: Steel black paint. Brass chrome plate

Interesting....there is not a trace of any plating on the frame. The glass in the small panel was held in with what appeared to be putty! The upper panel has some mostly carbonised rubber. The smaller frame has a concave section on the curve that meets the scuttle & that section looks as if  has been tinned (or leaded?) as it is a dull silver grey!
Do you not consider the dull silver grey to be the remains of the plating?

I do.
(18-07-2018, 10:35 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Do you not consider the dull silver grey to be the remains of the plating?

I do.

Hedd, Thanks for your comments.
Could be, of course, and as the car came from Hong Kong via California almost anything is possible. If the frame had been chemically stripped to leave the brass finish, it is surprising that this perfect section remains! I do agree, though that the most likely finish in 1932 would have been that relatively new fangled chrome.
Meanwhile I will continue to remove the putty!
David
The windscreen on my 1930 chummy was chrome
(18-07-2018, 12:00 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: The windscreen on my 1930 chummy was chrome

Looks like that should be the route to go....mind you this car is a bit of a special, so I could leave it as is. The wiper motor is also later & uses a 1957 Lucas  motor. I think that this is about the time most of the technical changes were made to the car, they seem to be late 50's early 60's. Probably done in UK before the car went to Hong Kong. As I have no idea of the UK reg. no (only Hong Kong) it is unlikely I will ever know
Thanks for the advice