The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RP Restoration - New Member
(01-08-2018, 04:32 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: It is most unlikely the RP number would be quoted; this is now an accepted identity that was completely unheard of fifty years ago. It is very common that the original registration was identified by the Car Number (B9 in your case) - we now expect to identify a car by its chassis number, but the Car Number identity is what was used by the Factory and is the nearest to the present day VIN number.

It's certainly not the complete car number as that's what I put on the V62 which was (apparently) wrong.
This remains a minefield, doesn't it?

Two of our Sevens are registered using the Chassis Number, another uses the Car Number.

In the mid-seventies, we pulled a ruinous RP from a cesspit, where it had lain for at least twenty years. We kept it as a potential source of spares, but are now restoring it. We have no paperwork of any sort, so I'm not at all hopeful of reclaiming the registration - I guess that "age related" is the best that I can expect. My understanding is that there's no point in starting the registration process until the car is roadworthy. How easy it is then seems to depend entirely on who at DVLA is handling the application. I'm not looking forward to it!
If it were me I would take legal advise. I am sure I have never heard of anyone instructing a solicitor but it has probably been done before. If you think the law is on your side and you can make a good case, perhaps a strongly worded Solicitor's letter would concentrate minds at the DVLA.??
Are the two "Quote this number" plates still present on the bulkhead of your car, one should record the Chassis number and the other the Car number, I have on occasion seen these numbers mixed up on registration documents. This seems to be the case more so on later cars where there is only one plate and the Car number is made up of the model type prefix followed by the chassis number for example ARR28****
Black Art Enthusiast
Yes, I sent them the car, chassis and body numbers including pictures of the plates (they are only just visible due to corrosion) but once it's gone to the vehicle team, it seems they won't do it until complete
Hi Geoff

If you are a member of the Pre-War Austin 7 Club (if you aren't, you should be) then may I suggest that you contact Pete Rowlands who is the DVLA  Liaison Officer. He was a great help when I was trying to obtain an age related number for my GE Cup Look-alike special and will possibly be able to direct you to the right person in the right department of the DVLA. By the way, my newly acquired 1933 RP - NJ 802 has the correct chassis number and engine number on the V5c. No mention of a car number anywhere but the engine capacity is wrong.