The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby throttle hesitation.
Hello

Guidance and opinions please.

1937 Ruby. It will start on the handle or button cold or hot but has a large flat spot on initial press of the accelerator pedal which will stall the engine unless extreme clutch and throttle feathering takes place. If I pull out the choke the flat spot almost disappears pointing me to fuel mixture issues.

Using carb cleaner on manifold joints or carb body/ spindle does not change engine note so no apparent air leaks.

The air screw on the professionally overhauled Zenith has no effect on either the idle or running of the engine.

Underneath the carb I removed the blanking screw and find that the compensating jet looks a tad mangled, i.e. the majority of it is missing albeit there still appears to be a small drilling at the bottom. See attached image.

On top of this I also fitted a fresh dynamo and have found there to be excessive float/lash between the cam gear and dynamo which is also excessively noisy.

My questions are;

1. Does the air compensation jet need the be completely intact for it to function correctly?

2. Why does the air screw not change running conditions?

3. The excessive play in the dynamo must cause play at the distributor end. Is it possible this is where the flat spot emanates from? 

4. Will lapping the cam gear remove the lash between dynamo and cam gear ?

Apologies for so many questions. Still.learning.

Cheers in advance.

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Is the throttle butterfly spindle worn, allowing air to leak in?
Hello Martin

It appears not. I've sprayed carb cleaner around it in both closed throttle and the initial throttle open position and do not get the expected change in engine speed.

Cheers

Dave
What size jets do you have?
Hello Ruairidh

I've attached an image of the jets.

You will have to stand on your head to view it mind such is my skill at photography and with mobile phones.

Cheers

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

They are all correct - but may be worn. Do you have others to try and do you have a fibre washer beneath the main and compensating jet?

Is the flange, where it attaches to the inlet manifold, stamped with a 7?
Yes to washers and number 7 but no to spare jets to try. Huh
You could try a richer compensating jet - if you can get one.
Ruaridh, do you need fibre washers under the jets as my 37 doesn't have them ?
They should be there, if none (and still working) you may be lucky.