The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water brake - power absorber
Have anyone tried a water brake on Austin 7 engine .I think the only and lightest way to get some load on engine out of car. Even standard engine 13 BHP /2400 RPM  in other words ,you must take 10 KW heat away for some time .
I don´t have a water brake ,but have tried an Eddy brake from a excercise bike .But this get very hot in few minutes at little more than idle speed,and torque is too low to make decent brake . If you only  use it some hours to bed in rings and get spark plugs up at 500degr c ,to burn oil and soot away,then to buy one are rather expensive.
Mogens
You could approach an old engine museum such as the Anson Museum in Poynton Cheshire or Internal Fire somewhere in Wales to see if they have a dynamometer to borrow, no doubt it will cost you an engine as donation. I'm still on the look out for a sectioned Seven engine for the Anson Museum.
Thank you Dave Mann. But I am living in Denmark .
I am not especially after an old water brake .Some companies sell "ready to use dynamometers " but I am only after the water brake .13 Bhp from A7 output from gearbox should cope with a garden hose 13 L/min ,to take away energi transferred to hot water in waterbrake. Lets say 30 min or less ,then stop and let engine oil cool down ,then may try another run.
Regards Mogens Hansen