The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo lubrication
Does anyone lubricate the gears in the dynamo end ? if so what with ?
Not me!
I assume you mean the dynamo / distributer end as the other gets splashed lubricated from the sump.

Grease - I don't think there is much benefit of any exotic brand as it didn't exist back then. A drop or two of oil down the screw head under the rotor arm to lube the bob weight carrier (there should be a split washer under the screw head to allow oil to drop down) - A DROP OR TWO only. And a few drops down the lubricating tube on the side of the distributer for the top and bottom bearings of the distributer.
On my Dynamo end there is a sort of wire circlip holding in a round disc that looks like a core plug but just used as a cover (I don't know if this is standard). I remove this and put a little gp grease in periodically.
John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Would LM grease do the same ?
LM grease is a lithium based grease disigned for wheel bearings. I think it will be suitable for the gears between Dynamo and distributor as it will have less chance of melting and spilling onto the commutator. After all any lubrication must be better than no lubrication. Just be careful not to put to much on as surplus grease may end up on the commutator and act as an insulator. If this happens however it can easily be .removed with a rag soaked in a little petrol.

John Mason