The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a 'Tapestry' trim source, or leads?
Just to say, I found Wing Commander Edwards, on good form - but as he said, the project was a long time ago.

The Sevens went when he found death watch beetle in his house, or something like that.

There are several cloth samples being cross referenced by several owners now with a view to a new short manufacture run, and I'm trying to link some of the samples - differences in the arrangements of colours - back to hard evidence about their names (see other thread on swb saloons with cloth trim...)
Having been involved in this research with JonE, what would be really helpful is if owners of original cloth trim SWB saloons that have a Heritage Certificate for their vehicle could post a reasonably close-up photo of the cloth material on here, along with the name of the trim as stated on the Heritage Certificate. Thanks.
(08-07-2018, 11:16 AM)JonE Wrote: As it happens, I owned some of the original images from Rinsey so can legally post one of them here.. for ref to Malcolm's moquette pattern... 1930 RK.

For interest, I found the ledger information for that Rinsey RK (dual beige) car photographed, and it wasn't originally Tapestry OR Moquette! If anyone knows the owner, get them to contact me and I'll give them more information!

We desparately need to find other examples of tatty CLOTH-trimmed SWB cars (or old samples/remains, long boxed) to test out findings so far. Paul G's analysis of the thread patterns is leading to things...

It would also be handy to be in touch with the owner of the ex-Chris Edwards Top Hat with the remade trim, if anyone knows the car. Chris can't remember details of the remanufacture, but the cloth or the car history file may give us more clues.
Jon are you sure about the Mills RK, quite obviously the interior looks to be the original, however where it re-trimed to a good standard back in the late 60's or early 70"s we could all now be misled into thinking it is untouched.
If you think about when we were investigating Nippy's a number of incorrect assumptions also based on older restoration work came to light.
Black Art Enthusiast
Well, I did wonder, but the ledger could be wrong. There is another ledgered car listed as maroon that is most unlikely not be completely original... and appears to experienced Austin 7 people to be definitely brown!

I'm pretty sure I read it correctly for EU 4339, but that also wants double checking at a next Gaydon visit by someone. The only way is to be entirely forensic about it all (i.e. assessing the owner history), as the fact we are looking at "old looking stuff" these days also means it could easily have been restored in the 60s, with 50 years of patina, dust and wear. There isn't much more to say about Sevens these days - lots of newbies like me asking the same old questions to get up to the speed of those with years and years of experience - but we can gradually get rid of assumptions, questioning everything rigorously just so we know the very few conservation grade cars are exactly that. Conservation grade cars will be the new concours d'elegance queens in another 10 years as people tire of perfection; perhaps realising there is nothing left to achieve there?

We ought to have a "going to Gaydon" thread on here, with a list of things to check should people be going. I did checks on 6 or 7 things (including the Rinsey RK!) before I got started with the main business... it's all quite easy as long as you work out whether you need to be in A8/A9 box or B1/B3, as you can't have them both out at the same time. And its completely free to use the archive/reading room.