The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creaking Steering Box Problem
As received, the steering on my 1938 Ruby was a bit stiff in both direction of rotation and made a creaking noise the you could feel through the wheel at the point in rotation when it became stiff. The stiffness was only present with the wheels on the ground, and not whenever jacked up. I greased the box - no difference.

So I took the box apart, checked all was good, lapped in the gears. Rebuilt with clean grease (CV joint type grease) and the problem is now much worse but only evident with the wheels on the ground. I cannot find any external interference that might be causing this. The friction level has increased and the creaking is now more evident across a much wider angle of rotation.

I know I'm probably using the wrong lubricant and will make up a mix of hypoid oil and grease and squeeze that into the box today, but has anybody got any thoughts or had similar steering box issues that the year managed to fix?

Th aka

Ray
It seems to me that it might be associated with the kingpins.
Perhaps the bearing surface on the axle ends is worn.
Jim
(01-07-2018, 10:49 AM)fatcatvera Wrote: As received, the steering on my 1938 Ruby was a bit stiff in both direction of rotation and made a creaking noise the you could feel through the wheel at the point in rotation when it became stiff. The stiffness was only present with the wheels on the ground, and not whenever jacked up. I greased the box - no difference.

So I took the box apart, checked all was good, lapped in the gears. Rebuilt with clean grease (CV joint type grease) and the problem is now much worse but only evident with the wheels on the ground. I cannot find any external interference that might be causing this. The friction level has increased and the creaking is now more evident across a much wider angle of rotation.

I know I'm probably using the wrong lubricant and will make up a mix of hypoid oil and grease and squeeze that into the box today, but has anybody got any thoughts or had similar steering box issues that the year managed to fix?

Th aka

Ray

Ray I'm with Jim on this one most likely to be king pin related, Grease in steering box, no, Castrol D 140 gear oil.
J
Grease in the steering box works its way up the column, and deposits a dollop on your trouser legs  Sad
The problem definitely is with the steering box. I've taken it out of the car (again) and if the arm is loaded there's loads of friction when rotating the steering wheel. The friction goes away when the arm is not loaded.

So I reformed the teeth on the arm gear with some diamond stones to remove the evident wear on the teeth a this was in case the high friction is due to increased contact area. I then made up a mix of gear oil and LM grease and filled the box with this....after all this effort it's still the same!! Maybe it's just how they are and I'm making up a problem that isn't real?!

When the car is in motion the friction isn't a problem, it just stationary and low speed below 10mph.

I'll have to find another car to compare against and also I'll see if I can find another steering box to try.
The problem definitely is with the steering box. I've taken it out of the car (again) and if the arm is loaded there's loads of friction when rotating the steering wheel. The friction goes away when the arm is not loaded.

So I reformed the teeth on the arm gear with some diamond stones to remove the evident wear on the teeth a this was in case the high friction is due to increased contact area. I then made up a mix of gear oil and LM grease and filled the box with this....after all this effort it's still the same!! Maybe it's just how they are and I'm making up a problem that isn't real?!

When the car is in motion the friction isn't a problem, it just stationary and low speed below 10mph.

I'll have to find another car to compare against and also I'll see if I can find another steering box to try.
This is an hour glass steering box I assume, have you checked the thrust bearings and end float in both the column and the drop arm, is the plain bearing on the drop arm in good shape? Are you over meshing the worm, if you slightly release the adjustment do you solve the problem? Stationary and under the weight of the car any steering box will be a little heavy but even just rolling along this should largely disappear.
Black Art Enthusiast
Everything is freely moving when the system is unloaded. So ball races and plain bearings are all in good shape. If the meshing is varied from correct to very loose and its makes no difference to the friction levels when loaded. 

I've now driven the car and my conclusion is that it's livable with. Anything above parking speeds and the friction level drops away. It doesn't seem  correct though that there is so much friction when the car is stationary - no other steering box car I've had has been like this. I'll try and assess some other cars for feel when I  have an opportunity.

Now I need to get on to making a new loom so the aged and failing fabric coated harness doesn't turn the car into a fireball......!
I think turning the steering whilst stationary in an Austin Seven will lead to damage, I personally never do it unless the wheels are rolling.

Do you have anyone nearby who has experience of driving Sevens who could try out yours and report back?

Decent wiring looms are available here: https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/s...query=Loom
Ah, well that would explain my issue then - the steering loads when stationary are too high for the system to accommodate...I won't try and do it anymore!

I'll take a look at those looms, thanks.