The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
recommendations for torque wrench pls
thankyou all - didn't think that was going to be simple!
But that narrows down things considerably so I can start talking to people. I'l ask the nice second hand toolshop locally... I suppose it would be good to adopt the 'reasonable spanner' route and then test out what I have achieved by hand in relation to what is deemed as correct.
John is spot on in saying you need to know whether the torque is for a 'wet' or 'dry' joint (and this is often unclear). Of course it's equally true that you need to take this into account when tightening with an ordinary spanner, oiled threads use less of the torque in friction and more in generating axial clamp force. Using a torque wrench you know that you've set the right tightness and that it's consistent across the joint. A skilled operator can do this by feel, but that's the point of the torque wrench, anyone can do it reliably.

+1 for Phil's advice too - a breakback wrench needs to be applied slowly or you will not get the right torque.
In the day many persons were experienced from work on bicycles, motorcycles etc and tended to use standard spanners of appropriate length so many got along perfectly without torque wrenches. Now persons lack experience and tend to use ratchet sets etc with one handle for all sizes and do not adjust the hold..
It is common to find be bolts stretched.
Some published figures for Sevens are plain wrong and others excessive; OK for the racers using exotic bolts.
The be bolts on Sevens are not heavily loaded; many much larger engines use the same size.High head tensions distort valve seats, bores, and prompt cracks.
Before using any figures it is prudent to compare with published figures for ordinary carbon steel HT bolts; it is unlikely the original materials were hugely superior. Important to distinguish the degree of lubrication or not intended.

It is a good idea to compare hand tension to calibrate yourself. You may not need a wrench.
I use a click type but my good pal who is a serious engineer swears by the pointer/scale type as being gentler and progressive.
A good point regarding lubricated threads, I have a printed out table on the tool box lid showing values for diameter, pitch and dry/lubed values.
I sometimes actually refer to it as well!

(My favourite setting is "wind it up till it strips , then back off a quarter turn")
there is a 'Halfords Professional' nearly new in its box in my local secondhand tool shop for 28 quid. I think its very similar to this one...
any thoughts on brand?
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/...h-model-60 (new is £85 less 20% currently)
(28-06-2018, 02:33 PM)JonE Wrote: there is a 'Halfords Professional' nearly new in its box in my local secondhand tool shop for 28 quid. I think its very similar to this one...
any thoughts on brand?
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/...h-model-60 (new is £85 less 20% currently)

Hi Jon,

I bought a Halfords socket set some years ago which has proved to be good quality and reliable. Halfords give a no quibble "replace it if you break it" guarantee which I've used on one socket so far (my abuse not its failure) and I didn't need to show a receipt, so buying second hand wouldn't compromise the guarantee (assuming this applies to torque wrenches as well as socket sets)

But, who's used and abused this bargain before you? Most torque wrenches are calibrated +/- 3%, but how do you know where you are with this one? Add in the cost of getting it calibrated and you might as well buy a new one.
Whilst I have no, specific, experience of the torque wrench, Halfords 'Professional' are a very good brand and they sell quality tools at sensible money. When bought new they have a lifetime guarantee and you have to be confident in your product to offer such a thing. Looking at the photo, it has both imperial and metric scales and that's important. Some torque wrenches are metric only and I vividly remember Malcolm and I changing a head gasket to a side valve Anzani engine at Prescott. We'd borrowed a torque wrench but it was metric only. We also knew the torque we wanted but only in imperial. Took some while before we found a clever chap who could convert one to the other!!

Steve
Re tools, if you or a friend are going to the states persuade your other half you really need to go to Harbor freight
Www.harbor-freight.com. Torque wrenches $19.98 can get discount vouchers as well and mostly imperial spanners etc
Ian
Perhaps I ought to use mine. It’s still in its wrapping after 6 years. It’s probably not very good. (From Lidl) It was a gift from a friend.
Steve just a word of warning about lifetime guarantee. I don't know what Halfords policy is on this but a lot of companies state it is the lifetime of the tool and that can be a short time when it is in their favour.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.