The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big 7 jigsaw for pre-war newbie
(25-06-2018, 11:23 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Yes agreed Tony, but that is a specific area isn't it, as far as I am aware the big seven engine has far less quirks then the seven engine, it is a more modern design so should be quite manageable for anyone with a bit of experience building engines. The gearbox is internally identical to a later seven except that it has a bell housing and more modern 1st motion shaft shaft which engages with a clutch someone with experience of post war classics would recognise, the rolling chassis has lots of small design differences but is essentially a slightly upscaled seven, with rod brakes.

True Ian, but the engine discussions here are about Stanley's quaint but endearing design- different in many areas.
(25-06-2018, 11:57 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(25-06-2018, 11:23 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Yes agreed Tony, but that is a specific area isn't it, as far as I am aware the big seven engine has far less quirks then the seven engine, it is a more modern design so should be quite manageable for anyone with a bit of experience building engines. The gearbox is internally identical to a later seven except that it has a bell housing and more modern 1st motion shaft shaft which engages with a clutch someone with experience of post war classics would recognise, the rolling chassis has lots of small design differences but is essentially a slightly upscaled seven, with rod brakes.

True Ian, but the engine discussions here are about Stanley's quaint but endearing design- different in many areas.
Larry, as suggested, download any Big 7 Parts Lists or Handbooks on the Austin Seven Clubs' Association website (I haven't looked what's there).  If you email me on ausevenoz@gmail.com with your snail mail address, I can send you photocopies of other literature that I'm sure you'll find helpful & interesting!    Good Luck with the project.   Cheers,  Bill
(25-06-2018, 08:35 PM)daveg Wrote: I would think the 12 springs are clutch springs which would tie in with the story that the car was going to have the clutch repaired.

Bingo! It seems that's exactly what they are. Another job for the list......

Are there any tricks or hints for disassembly and re-assembly?