The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fabric covered Austin 7’s
I must thank Bill for raising this thread.  He knows only too well that I am very remiss at utilzing the forum!   Thank you also to all those that responded.   Having recently come across some old swatch samples I had (1996) from Woolies I think I had come to the conclusion that their 'Everflex' was as good a bet as any.   (The price then was £16.41/ mtr!)   I do have a couple of queries - an acquaintance suggetsted to me hessian as an underlay, but perhaps too coarse and hard.  Any reason why one should not varnish the ply prior to covering it, as an extra protection of the ply.
As a footnote - Wikipedia has a description of Rexine,  and there is a company, Rexine ltd., registered at Companies House,  but it is obviously a shell, a couple of Directors and £100 capital.   I imagine it is someone holding onto the name.

PS  Bill is being kind to my project referring to it as a GE Cup.  A more accurate designation woud be 'Special,  GE Cup type body'
Genuine Rexine (very expensive) is now made by R. C. Moss:-
http://www.vintagebentleys.com/
(27-06-2018, 02:56 PM)Neil Morrison Wrote: I must thank Bill for raising this thread.  He knows only too well that I am very remiss at utilzing the forum!   Thank you also to all those that responded.   Having recently come across some old swatch samples I had (1996) from Woolies I think I had come to the conclusion that their 'Everflex' was as good a bet as any.   (The price then was £16.41/ mtr!)   I do have a couple of queries - an acquaintance suggetsted to me hessian as an underlay, but perhaps too coarse and hard.  Any reason why one should not varnish the ply prior to covering it, as an extra protection of the ply.
As a footnote - Wikipedia has a description of Rexine,  and there is a company, Rexine ltd., registered at Companies House,  but it is obviously a shell, a couple of Directors and £100 capital.   I imagine it is someone holding onto the name.

PS  Bill is being kind to my project referring to it as a GE Cup.  A more accurate designation woud be 'Special,  GE Cup type body'

Hessian is not really the right stuff for padding your body. I was advised to use 2oz polyester/Dacron which works nicely but you have to be careful drilling through the body later on as the polyester fibres wind around the drill bit. This can be solved by cutting the hole to be drilled with a knife first and the polyester fibres melted with a soldering iron. 

I was also advised to treat the body with sadolin extra. 

Peter

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Peter

I opted for Sadolin as well on all my plywood and
Ash frames on my car. Good stuff I use it on all my house wind
Frames on our cottage.

The Dacron sounds the business too for a fabric covered car.
I’m still debating whether to keep my alloy skinned Cup
As plain unpolished aluminium, or have it coach painted.

Probably will compromise and have black stove enamelled
Wings etc and leave the body to age gracefully.... like its driver!

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Can anyone advise whether they have seen anything for sale with a light embossing that would be akin to this and that could, as rexine, maintain a slight sheen:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just to emphasis the risk of drilling through polyester fibre:

First, it will wind up the poly in the area and so ruin the finish of the body, requiring removal of the fabric and starting again.

Then, it will snap the drill bit.   I have had it snap a 3/8 drill bit.

Use a bradawl, or cut out, as said above, but make sure the cut out area is totally free of poly.

If I remember, I run the drill backwards.

THAT'S THE BIGGEST PROBLEM: remembering, a week or a year later, DON'T DRILL THE BODY!

Simon
I
.jpeg   157BCBDA-72CC-459B-A2CA-673DC057D2FC.jpeg (Size: 425.46 KB / Downloads: 210)

Slightly off topic , but surely related is the subject of the versatile material.. Plywood.

I was in the V&A yesterday and came across an interesting book
by Christopher Wilks called Plywood: a material story”

Hoping I might get it for Christmas! Doesn’t 
Particularly cover it’s use in car construction but
Has good information about its invention
Early patent holders: :-) , a namesake ” William Gardner! In the USA
Plus lots about WW1 aircraft construction, where Gordon England
Developed many of his ideas , leading to the Brooklands and Cup models etc.

Also lots about De Havilland Mosquitoes, an amazing plane.
Frank Costin also get a mention.... and Marcos.

Add it to your own Christmas list!

Regards

Bill G
A while back (about a year or or so) the V&A had a fascinating exhibition on Plywood (which no doubt was in conjunction with the publication of the book). All sorts of things on display from furniture to an aeroplane fuselage...
You can see why cup bodies all rotted away cant you.

Made from cheap plywood and ash. Then you cover it with absorbent material and then put something wayerproof on top.

Ash is about the least rot proof wood availible. Its a perfect storm for rot
Hi Hedd

What fabric are you using for your
Cup , Hedd?

At least the Dacron is waterproof!

Of course the fact that the original plywood bodyskin
Was only 3 ply and 1.5mm thick did not help plus
it was fastened on , as was the Rexine, with
about 500 blued steel tacks. I’ve used stainless and 
plated screws plus galvanised small nails and alloy rivets.

Hence my idea of using an Alloy skin and 1”
Ash framing ( instead of 3/4”) and thicker marine ply for
The bulkheads and floors.

Time will tell if motoring and the odd Trial will
shake it apart, but I doubt it as it’s very, very
strong and light.

Regards

Bill G