The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fabric covered Austin 7’s
My friend Neil is also building a GE Cup and is researching a suitable
fabric to cover his project.

The original covering for many Austin’s was Rexine manufactured by ICI Ltd. 
This is no longer available I believe.
I see from an advert in an early edition of R T Nicholson, that as well as making Rexine
ICI also made a leather cloth called “P-V”. Does anyone know about the P-V fabric? 
and what is the best choice of modern made fabric that’s
A) waterproof
B) has some flexibility
C) and is UV resistant

I think this subject surface before but did not
Come to a definitive conclusion?

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
I covered my 1929 Special (plywood) with "Everflex" hooding from Woolies. So far it has done 5,500 miles in seven years and still looks pretty good. It gets a regular wash with Autoglym shampoo followed by a chammying.

.jpg   cecil_web.jpg (Size: 79.51 KB / Downloads: 604)
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Of the vinyls Everflex would be my choice, the grain is very similar to period Rexine samples that I have in my collection, I covered a couple of body's in this, after 30 plus year's of service there was still no sign of deterioration. I would suggest that it is important to first use the the traditional cotton wadding underlay held in place with calico, this gives the correct appearance, I have seen thin foam used however this always looks overstuffed to my eyes.
Black Art Enthusiast
I follwed Ian's advice exactly for my fabric covered special. Mainly done in the summer last year. Very pleased with the result.
Cheers,
Dave.
I used Everflex for the fabric roof of my RL saloon and twenty years later it looks as good as new.  I share Ian's view that the underlying material is critical for the correct finished appearance, too many GE Cups look 'over-stuffed'.
If I was you, Bill, I would have a word with Tom Abernethy.  His 'American' GE Cup has the best fabric finish I have seen.
It's over 25 years since I built a fabric covered trials car body but I did the same as Ian and Dave and agree that the underlay material is very important if the finished job is going to look as it should. I sold that body in 2007 having done 8 full seasons of VSCC trialing and the fabric showed no signs of deterioration. I last saw it maybe 4 or 5 years ago on another trials car and it was still doing good service. After washing and drying, I always found a wipe over with Autoglym 'Vinyl & Rubber Care' kept it looking good.

Steve
Rexine is available but it is not economic to use for Austin 7s.
https://sevenrk.wordpress.com/2018/05/22...iscovered/
Bill,
I used a marine quality vinyl
From a company called Boyriven in Andover . I used a good quality army blanket cushion it first. I notice that you will be at Beaulieu on Sunday, I shall be there with my car (Rosengart) you won’t miss it , it’s in French blue. Would be pleased to speak with you.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(25-06-2018, 07:59 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: If I was you, Bill, I would have a word with Tom Abernethy.  His 'American' GE Cup has the best fabric finish I have seen.

I agree Malcolm, it is sublime! Tom painted over the material he used to get that finish, some of the original body remnants he holds show signs of over-painting.

It has the merest hint of very slim wadding and this suits the cups perfectly.

For those of you unfamiliar with the car and finish, see here (scroll through to see more of the car): https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress....ousel-1102
Hi Malcolm and Ruairidh

I’ve know Tom for 50 years! And watch
His first Brooklands being made.

He told me he had a couple of goes at painting the fabric
And he is a masterly artist at most things... so non trivial to
Follow that method I think.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,