The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Seven steering issues
Hi Folks,
I have recently bought a beautiful Austin Big Seven that was restored about 10 years ago and then laid up in dry storage.

It starts and runs magnificently, and i am coming to terms with the brakes and gearbox after too many years with modern stuff, but the steering is worrying to the point of putting me off using.

Now its not the vagueness, i was warned about that and am quite content with a gentle meander in a straight line, but the steering to the right is like somebody has put a strong steering damper on. I have greased all the joints and links in the steering and pushed loads of fresh grease through in case the old had gone hard but to no avail. If i jack up the front of the car it all moves freely with no load on it, but on the road its a nightmare.

I am left wondering if the king pins need to be reamed out a bit more? but being new to Big A7's or any A7's thought i would seek the advice of those who know. Is the procedure for Big 7's the same as other 7's?

Thanks for any support or advice offered, regards, Ian
Tracking and camber. You need someone who understands Austins to check and adjust unless you are a serious "old car nut". My 7 steering was very heavy, then I adjusted it and it was so light as to be nearly impossible. Adjusted in between seems about just right.
(24-06-2018, 08:36 PM)bob46320 Wrote: Tracking and camber. You need someone who understands Austins to check and adjust unless you are a serious "old car nut".  My 7 steering was very heavy, then I adjusted it and it was so light as to be nearly impossible. Adjusted in between seems about just right.

Always check caster.
Me again!
Local garage lent me their tracking gauges, as they didn't fancy doing it - chickens. First i did a quick and dirty tape measure check front and back of the front tyres and this said the car had 1cm of toe out, Hmmmm. So i then spent ages getting this horrid laser sighted tracker aligned and set up and happy days it confirmed i had toe out of just over 1 degree. So out came those funny imperial spanners and it all came apart beautifully and adjusted up nicely to give a half degree of toe in. I'm not sure if this is too much but now i can do it, thought i would make sure i had toe in.
The car now tracks in a straight line better, but its still like wrestling Geoff Capes to turn right.
The garage didn't have castor or camber gauges. I am happy to have a go at camber if i can find gauges as i am used to doing this on my old racing 2CV, but castor might be beyond me. I have now increased tyre pressure to 28psi after reading the longstone website from 24.5 psi but havent road tested yet.

I am still concerned it might be kingpins or even steering box, but this is the downfall of the internet, we all become laptop experts of something we have no real knowledge. Any further guidance appreciated. Including what the ideal set up values might be.