The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Modern Petrol!
I must apologise to any participants of the LCES Summer Tour last weekend who were held up by my recalcitrant Chummy, invariably on the narrow steep hills you had nearly conquered, and to thank the kind enthusiasts and passing strangers who gave me uphill push-starts.  The diagnosed fuel starvation was caused by this brown, resin-like matter in the tank.

Local light-carists suspect a residue from the bio share of the unleaded that has settled out during the winter lay-over.  My own fault for avoiding the cold in my old age.
Any other thoughts on this annoying problem (not my old age) would be appreciated.
Robin
Tourists generally kept going with the assistance of momentum. Marshalling at T C 7 we had to assist a couple of Rallyists to get away up a hill that certainly was not marked with chevrons. Some folk get 
 a bit upset at the number of sevens active in LCES and other events, but there can be no more positive indication that Sir Herbert got it very right with his baby. As for the pictures, one might wonder whether you had strayed from the road book and gone down to Reg Mays, the butcher in Ditton Priors, for some  Biltong.
On my UK tour I suffered a split in the petrol tank.
 With petrol dripping on my knees and the windows open I limped into Robert Foreman's excellent workshop and he managed a solder repair ( still holding Robert Smile ).  With the tank out we noticed a rattling inside and removed a cup full of similar pieces to yours Robin, these we believe were the remains of degraded old style slosh tank sealant that were affected by ethanol petrol. 
cheers  Russell
I don't use anything but "super" grade in the old cars (and lawn mowers) since having similar problems like this, and it going "stale" fairly quickly.

Not had a problem since.
(24-06-2018, 06:38 PM)Robin Boyce Wrote: I must apologise to any participants of the LCES Summer Tour last weekend who were held up by my recalcitrant Chummy, invariably on the narrow steep hills you had nearly conquered, and to thank the kind enthusiasts and passing strangers who gave me uphill push-starts.  The diagnosed fuel starvation was caused by this brown, resin-like matter in the tank.

Local light-carists suspect a residue from the bio share of the unleaded that has settled out during the winter lay-over.  My own fault for avoiding the cold in my old age.
Any other thoughts on this annoying problem (not my old age) would be appreciated.
Robin

Robin

That looks like shellac to me
(25-06-2018, 01:45 PM)David Witton Wrote:
(24-06-2018, 06:38 PM)Robin Boyce Wrote: I must apologise to any participants of the LCES Summer Tour last weekend who were held up by my recalcitrant Chummy, invariably on the narrow steep hills you had nearly conquered, and to thank the kind enthusiasts and passing strangers who gave me uphill push-starts.  The diagnosed fuel starvation was caused by this brown, resin-like matter in the tank.

Robin

Robin

That looks like shellac to me
Well, there's a good selection.  I'll leave the biltong thanks; the tank has never been sealed as far as I can see (but that might mean it has all dissolved and formed the stuff shown); and I don't know what shellac would be doing there.  Unless the other half has been using my petrol in desparation to remove her nail varnish.  I'll just hope for the best.
We were a couple of cars behind you when you expired at one point, Robin. A shouted 'OK'? resulted in 'Petrol Vaporisation' so we carried on. Looking at the photo I'd suggest the opinion that old 'slosh' sealant might be the answer but for that to be right, the tank's had to sealed with it at some point in the past.

Mrs J doesn't find petrol works well as nail varnish remover but in absolute desperation, cellulose thinners does. Best not ask how I know this!

Steve
Thumbs Up 
As Russell suggests I would say that it is some form of sealant that has started to disintegrate  When we repaired Russell's tank I removed a dustpan full of the stuff. Try looking inside the tank with a long dentist mirror and bright torch. 

Glad the petrol tank repair is holding up Russell
(25-06-2018, 08:07 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: As Russell suggests I would say that it is some form of sealant that has started to disintegrate  When we repaired Russell's tank I removed a dustpan full of the stuff. Try looking inside the tank with a long dentist mirror and bright torch. 

Glad the petrol tank repair is holding up Russell
Robin - I wonder if it was in fact a sealant gone wrong with the latest petrol.  I had the same problem with my 1952 Lanchester Leda - sometimes would only go 100 yards before cutting out.  Although the carb has an internal filter and the car has an in-line filter as standard, still gunk got through. I then fitted an extra (modern) in-line one.  Still problems.  Removed the tank, sent it off to be acid-bathed & steam-cleaned.  Went back, paid for the job, then they couldn't find the tank!   Took them a couple of months to locate it.  Not the sort of problem one would have with a Seven tank and if it did, would be easy to find another tank.  An Oil Company expert gave our Club a talk a while back & pointed out the modern petrol is only good for one month on the shelf before it starts to deteriorate.  Perhaps if the  car is unused for a period it gives time for the fuel to eat away the sealant?  Good Luck with the Chummy.   Cheers,  Bill