The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Somthing
Hi All,
        May be a bit Dim but cannot work out why it seems OK to fit after market cranks, rods, slipper pistons, heads, SU carbs, superchargers.
But two electrical Items that will be beneficial to a lot owners are jumped on.
Smacks of Double Standards.

Just asking
Colin NZ
The crank is the same, just better steel. The slipper pistons are copied from a works piston, most heads (Alta, Ricardo etc) are copies of originals.

Charles
What he said, and no Colin I do not see double standards, all of the items you mention were available and fitted in some form pre war.

I have been quite vocal on the subject over the past couple of days, but read carefully what I have been saying. I have no problem with these items being available, nor to them being fitted to replace knackered parts, I have only said that in the majority of cases where subsequent damage has occurred there probably was little need to make these modifications. I would applaud someone making direct replacement DK4's and dynamo's particularly the early types, and I have also only said that the performance gain from the distributors is largely down to removal of wear rather than the fact it is electronic.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi, There are pistons & rods being used that are Not Prewar and using a modern grade of steel also the same,
so using modern electrics should not be a problem they are just an alternative .
Colin NZ
There do seem to be a lot of folks trying to fix things which aren't broken. That's my tuppence worth!
Problem with a modern car? No need even to open the bonnet, just plug in the laptop under the dash and the thing tells you what’s wrong.

The charm of an Austin Seven for me is that given access to a bit of mechanical nous, normal tools, a local machine shop and the wealth of experienced advice available here and elsewhere, one can diagnose and fix it oneself. I want stuff I can adjust with a screwdriver or spanner. Once you start swapping ‘modules’ of which the insides are a mystery the magic evaporates. That’s my tuppence worth!
Hi,
I have found nothing wrong with the 1933 manual advance dizzy, they are easy to rebush a decent set of gears between everything takes out backlash, I have changed the cap for one that the wires come out at 90 degrees and are clamped in. ( most common cause of breakdown miss fire eliminated ) 

I have also fitted an external spring so that the timing stays where its put with the manual advance retard. It takes out the lash in the linkage.

Fitting a modern Dizzy is an option the VW one looks awful under the bonnet. ( I found it worse than the standard manual one on my car when I tried one)

The Accuspark at least looks like the original and gets round the poor quality of replacement condensers. 
The Austin hardly needs a powerful spark though. 

I can understand the Auto advance Dizzy being replaced with new as they are not so easy to repair as the bob weights get very worn.

I you enjoy the driving, fit what suits you and the car.

If you like originality stay with what Austin fitted.